Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey old Ampeg freaks:

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rickenbackerman, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Went and picked this sucker up yesterday.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2506577884&category=10171

Turns out three speakers are original, and five are '79 square-mag eminences like in my other cab.
    The three CTS alnicos are dated '71, so I guess these cabs weren't only made in '69?

It's also deeper than my '76 tiltback. More bottom end! Didn't someone say the straightback cabs are thinner? Psycho?

...gotta build a dolly... jazzbasser - what did you do? Just used plywood and casters? Where did you get the feet that go into the cups on the bottom of the cab?

2. Congratulations! Keep on buyin' 'em up. It's our duty!

My '73 SVT cab (straight-back) measures 46 1/2" tall, 26" wide, and almost 16" deep. My 1973-4 catalog/brochure corroborates this.

Until a few months ago I also had a modern SLM 810 (tilt-back, of course). It seemed to be the same H, W, D as my old one. But I never put a tape on it. I do have a new catalog though that says the new ones are the same dimensions and I think it's true.

Interestingly and on a side-note, the weights differ a lot: old straight-backs= 137 lbs & new ones= 165 lbs. I've never weighed a cab; those are catalog specs.

What exactly are the dimensions of your '76 tilt-back?

My belief (as of today) is that there is no outside dimensional difference in the cabs made from '69 to the present. I think the towel-bar and wheels were incorporated (around '76) but the overall outside dimensions remained the same. I say all this however having never measured a '69 model which could be different. Who'll measure one for us? :confused: Also there is a possible exception with the MTE-made cabs from the early to mid eighties. They utilize the tilt-back concept but via two separate spring-loaded handles instead of the towel bar. Because MTE also fiddled with the SVT head housing, they could have done something different to the cabs. I've never seen an MTE cab in person.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this in this thread once and for all. I have a '73. You have a '71 and a '76. PBG has all of 'em ('69?). Surprisingly, the toughest will probably be the MTE edition.
    I shopped at fliptops.com. They have all of those detail pieces and it's very affordable. I'll PM you additional info on my experience.

3. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Whoa, you have a 73-74 catalog that shows the straight-back design? That's the main reason I posted this thread - I've heard some say the square cabs were only made in '69, but my cab says different. I bought it from the *original owner* and he bought it brand new in 1972. Three (that sure look original) speakers dated the 34th week of 71.

I haven't measured my '76 cab; but I should. I didn't measure the '71 either, but it sure *looks* a lot deeper. It almost seems a little taller, too. It's tape-measure time.

Also, my guitar player has an MTI cab with the flip handles. I might buy that one too (real cheap), because all the speakers are trashed. It's got square-mag eminences from an older cab.

Anyone got any blown CTS alnico SVT 10s kicking around?

4. Yeah. I'll scan it and try to post it here later today.

I've heard that also about '69 being the only positi...I mean year that the cabs were square. But if you have what you have and I have what I have....

Mine has all the original CTS that date to '73. All the tubes in the matching head dated to '73 also.
    I'm really looking forward to seeing the results. It won't take many of us to get a handle on this. PBG might have a '69.
    Not yet. :p

5. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    DUH. I totally missed the fact that your straight cab is a '73. I'm a little slow (and really hungover) today. So now we have two early 70's straight cabs.

I'm pretty sure at least one of Psycho's cabs is a '69. Now I just want to get a handle on this whole cab depth issue.

6. Guess we'll have to start telling everyone it's really 700 watts which is like 4000 SS watts, right? :bag:[​IMG]

7. I have a CTS speaker with a blown voice coil.

8. As soon as I'm able, I'll get out to the garage and measure my SVT cabs' depth. All three of them look the same, but I'll measure to be sure. I had kidney surgery yesterday and I had a BAD reaction to the anesthesia which caused my pain medicine to not work at ALL and I'm in pretty bad shape right now. The good news is that my pain medicine IS working now and I am passing pieces of my gigantic kidney stone, but I'm still very weak.

9. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I'm curiouse also! I just picked up one of these straight cabs in EX condition with original dolly, the owner told me it was a 69?
    How can I date this cab, It just has a tag on the back that say's SVT
    It is the best sounding cab ever owned now I just got to find a matching head.

10. Your timing is perfect. Together we're gonna attempt to de-mystify some things related to these cabs.

Post a pic of yours.

IME, most all sellers want buyers to think their cab is a '69 because that would be a first-year cab and potentially would justify a premium price. Aside from a very few select but generally accepted dating guidelines based on outward appearance (such as tilt/straight, two wheels, four wheel dolly, grill cloth, smoothness of the tolex, speakers, badges, etc.), you'll want to date the speakers. I suppose the thinkin' is: If the speaker date-codes are from 1970 forward, then you do not have a '69.

What makes it the best sounding to you? What are you running thru it?

11. Here's another thing I meant to mention. Let me preface it by saying that I know that you would not mistake an 810 for a 215.

Pictured in the same catalog is the V4B cab. It is an inch wider, almost two inches taller, and eight inches deeper.

Outwardly and from a distance one would think it's a deeper SVT cab.

More interestingly is that it features "Mounted Wheels with Bar Handle" (tilt-back).

12. Psycho,
    Sorry to hear about your Kidney stones. I suffer from the same affliction. That's a horrible thing to go thru. God speed.
    I have what I think is a '74/'75 Straight cab.
    Serial # 54365.
    Measurements are, H 461/2" x W 26" x D 15 3/4".
    I haven't looked inside the cab in 2 years so I can't remember the speaker dates. For sure all 10s are CTS square magnets.
    I will Weber them this year with a re-cone.:cool:

13. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I forgot to measure mine last nite, but I will do it tonite...

Everyone with straight cabs: Do they all have the 4-pin XLR jack? Mine had it, but it was converted to a 1/4". I just wonder how long they used it till they went to the regular jack.

Jazzbasser - Yeah, I've seen a few of those V4B cabs. Huge!

Tom, are you sure those are CTS speakers and not eminence ceramics? Just curious... I can testify that Weber recones kick major butt. Just remember to wait till they fully break in before you pass judgement - my cab got almost twice as loud after they broke in.

Psycho - hope you feel better!

14. Rickenbackerman,
    It's been approx 2 years since I did a total restore on my SVT head and cab.
    I did not document the speaker codes so I will have to take one out to see. I remember they were all the same square magnet type and the baskets were painted a brownish metallic color.
    I was told by the fella I bought it from that they were CTS Alnico. I remember dating them at the time of the restoration and recall they were indeed CTS dated in the mid 70s. BTW this guy had 2 cabs. The other one was loaded with Eminance drivers. Is there a differance in tone between these two different manufacturers speakers?
    Depending on my scheduale I will try to open her up and will let you know what I find.
    I got pics somewhere of the whole thing. Need to look for that too!

15. Mine still has the 4-pin. I feel that by '76 it was 1/4". So I can only narrow that down to sometime after '73 but before '76.[​IMG]

16. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA

I don't have any full lenth pics, I have only had it a few weeks.
    But here it is sitting under my PV Classic 400
    [​IMG]
    I have some new pics coming in as soon as they develope I'll post them.

I'm running my all tube PV Classic 400 through it.
    It's the best sounding cab I have ever owned.
    I don't know why but I'm a Eden guy and I decided to play out with this PV/Ampeg monster rig on Sat. Usually I use a Eden WT400 into 2 210t's and I can hear it good but I used the monster rig and it sounded killer I was even able to jam on the guitar players side of the stage and still hear and feel the bottom.
    Tons-o-projection! That cab just filled the room with sweet tone.
    When I hit a open E it was like thunder,
    What a beeyatch to move around though, Ya need a truck.

17. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Mine still has the 4 pin jack and the tag looks just like the one in that pic.

18. I'm not sure about Ampeg cab dates and stuff, but if you wanna know, PM Psycho Bass Guy, he knows the lowdown on Ampeg history.

19. Don't the CTS speakers have round magnets and the Eminence have the square magnets.

20. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    All the CTS speakers and 70's eminences I've seen both have square magnets. The difference is that the CTS's are Alnico. They look kinda like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2503495039&category=10171

except the magnets are bigger.

The eminences look kinda like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2504770339&category=10171

except the magnets are usually silver.

Also, my cab measures the same as Tom's:
    H 46 1/2" x W 26" x D 15 3/4" How deep is a tiltback cab? 16"?