1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hey older (30+) guys: ever changed careers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Basschair, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I'm wondering if you've ever done a total 180 and switched from one career to another...what did you do before and what do you do now?

2. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I went from being a tool & die apprentice to being a line mechanic @ a new car dealer. Then, 4 yrs later, I went into the electronics/computer industry and have been here for 20+ years.

3. I went from being a draftsman/graphics producer to a web designer/developer and multimedia designer. - Did this switch at about age 30. I am 38 now.

4. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I was a full time bassist for 18 years until my wife became seriously ill and I was forced to get a "real" job that had stability and health benefits. For the past 16 years I have been managing an environmental site remediation business (basically cleaning up contaminated landfills and demolishing hazardous industrial facilities .... really, a hazardous waste cleanup heavy equipment construction company)

5. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Do You know Tony Soprano or Pauly Walnuts ? :D

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    draftsman / designer turned computer geek (I do some web design, but I do network and systems admin stuff) here too... also 38 and switched at about 30.

7. Eerie, huh? Are you my doppelganger? :bag:

8. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    :D

... You'd be shocked at how close to reality certain things on that show actually are:eyebrow:

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    My former career occupation was traveling the country taking off Jewelry stores and when that line of work started declining(because it was becoming hard to find a good team because of occupational hazards)I decided to take the money and chill and go with Music full time.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm 30. I started out working client support (with corporate clients) at a niche computer company. Then I went to China for a year and taught English at a private college, then I came back and did social work for a year and a half, then I ran a specialized education program at a high school and now I'm just a plain old vanilla elementary teacher.

bc

11. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Former Hotel / Restaurant Manager turned Help Desk management consultant / contractor.

12. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    I'm 50 and I've been in tech in one form or another since I started working. Outsourcing will eliminate my current job (12+ years) by 2007. The tech sector is so dicey these days, it's no longer the place for me and I'll likely be making a total career change.

I'm thinkin' gumballs. :cool:

'rick

13. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    I know how you feel. I'm 52, been a machinist since '73. Doing CNC Programming now, but manufacuring isn't what it was.
    Let me know how the gumball thing works out!
    bill

14. I started as a farmer, then as a machinist(national guard), then I was a welder, then a CNC programmer and draftsmen, then an airline aircraft mechanic and now a scientific research technician in civil engineering.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I dropped out of college to become a slacker musician. Then at age 30 I entered the radiation safety industry. Lots of upward mobility there... no, not because of a high death rate or anything. ;) Anyway, that day job enabled me to get my IT degree at night.

So, at age 37 I entered the IT field. Most of my peers are 10 or more years younger than I, but that's fine. I think I made the right decision: play rock'n'roll as a youth :bassist: , get a real job at middle age. :)

16. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I sorta did it that way too.

I started out my career working with developmentally disabled and mentally handicapped. Last stint in that field, I managed residential facilities for developmentally disabled adults. After getting burned out in that, I went back to school and became a high school teacher. At that point I made two discoveries that made me to decide the direction I was going. 1) I had the same standard of living at 26 as I did at 19, 2) I really liked eating. I tell people that when I got out of college I was quite idealistic. But, I lost half my ideals when I was a social and the other half when I was a teacher. Since I lost all my ideals, I figured it was time to enter the world of business at the age of 26.

I fell into the IT industry, and while it was hot I did well. I could of saved up a world of money, but instead I worked short term contracts that paid good money and then took weeks off at a time. I was a full-time musician then, and my monthly expenses were tiny compared to the salaries of the tech boom. In 1999 I worked less than 500 hours, and did well enough to support myself. Ahhh the good ol days.

Now almost 10 years later, I'm still in the IT industry, but just opened a bass shop. The future looks interesting.

17. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I have been:
    Musician
    Elecrtrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Well Driller-Irrigation contractor
    Musician
    Paramedic
    Musician
    Computer Nerd- Sys Admin.
    Electrician

18. crikker

crikker Yooper From Way Back Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    UP
    I gave 20 years to Uncle Sam then went civilian. Kind of a big change for me.

19. I just finished a career switch. I was in fundraising and the nonprofit business (those words do go together). I'm now an abstractor for a "land management" company. Essentially I do title research for leasing, right-of-ways, etc. It's working out well at this point and I haven't thought twice about my previous career.

Mike

20. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    After a college degree and 20 years in sales and management I became a carpenter. The work is rewarding and a bit more honest. I also like the instant reward of seeing accomplishment daily. The money sucks, but I am a lot happier.