hey photography buffs....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pmkelly, Oct 11, 2002.

1. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    anyone who is into photography, my wife wants a digital camera for christmas, so I need to find either resources on digital cameras or suggestions for good cameras < 500$ USD... thanks for any help you can be!

2. Hey pm, the Sony Mavica is in that price range, and you can get one that uses a 3.5" floppy or one that uses a memory stick. I've used the one that saves to floppy, it is 2.2Mpixels if I'm not mistaken and takes very good pics.
  3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Hey P@

I have one of these...

Fuji Finepix2800.. Great Camera..

Only $350
  4. I just bought a Toshiba PDR-M71 and it is a solid, good camera. Got it below cost because it was just discontinued. A solid 7/10.

Anyways, here are my favourite sites for digital camera reviews. I've provided direct links to the review lists:

DC Resource

Imaging Resource

Steve's Digicam

Other good sites are:

DP Review

Here are some tips for choosing a digital camera:

- See what cameras are available at the stores THEN go check the review sites. Otherwise your head will explode from information overload.

- Check the image samples at the review sites.

- Remember to factor in the cost of extra batteries, a LARGER MEMORY CARD, a carrying case and taxes. (I spent $500 CDN on my camera and an additional $200 on batteries, battery recharger and a 128MB memory ard).

If you can provide more information about what kind of photos she wants to take and under what shooting conditions, I can make some camera recommendations.
  5. What about a Sony MVC-FD200? I think that uses a memory stick or floppy disk. MRSP is $499, I think.
  6. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Aww I thought you were gonna ask a real photography buff question...
  7. i've got an Olypmus C220.. it does 2Mpixel, whick is more than enough for me :)

it was 333 euro.. so i think they'll go for 200 dollar in usa..
  8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I was certain we were going to see an f-stop question.
  9. If we start talking about digital slr's, then we can start talking about f stops. The $500.00 price range took those right out of the mix though.
  10. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO

nope, just really need half-a$$3d photography buffs for this one!

11. :eek: I offer you assistance and you call me a half-a$$3d photography buff?

I'm callin' you out, boy...Any bass, any time...
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    At our company, we buy Sony DSC P5's and P7's. They are very compact, excellent optics, 3.3 Mpixels, full features, and memory sticks up to 128 Mbytes. Don't even dream of getting a camera that uses a 3.5" floppy. There's only 1.44 Meg of memory on it, enough for one picture at high resolution.

Sony DSC P7
  13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    While it's a heckuva lot cheaper than $500, my new Kodak DX3600 just showed up yesterday. 2.2 megapixels, zoom, etc. You can attach filters to the front, if you like, too.

One nice little feature is that you can actually record *.mov movies with it, too.

It takes compactflash cards, and the picture quality is pretty damn good. I'm currently using a 32MB card, and that gives me 196 pictures at 900x600, or 2:08 of video at 320x240.

Sure, a real photographer wouldn't be caught dead with it, but, then, no one's ever accused me of being a real photographer. :D

EDIT:Munji--that's a great camera resource you linked there. Thanks! It seemed to like my DX3600--describes it as novice/amateur which is about right. :D
  14. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I didn't call you half-a$$3d, per se..... you just took it that way! ;) ;)

I would respond to your call out, but I still can't motor under my own power because of an injury to my leg.... need crutches, so no dueling basses today!:eek: :D

BTW, thanks for the info to all, especially rabid... I glanced at some of the sites you posted... they should be very helpful!
  15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    If you want to go a notch up, try the Sony S85. More SLR-like features, like manual exposure control. We have one of those, too.

I used to do a lot of animal phoyography, and my film cameras are a Nikon 8008s and a Nikon F-100. Essentially, they rule.
  16. I had always wondered if there are digital cameras more like my beloved old SLRs... (Zeiss Ikon Contarex Super, Canon AE-1 Program)... so there are "digital SLRs"? At the very least I demand manual focus from any camera, and not that cheat manual focus (hold the button half way down...crap!)...

Who makes these doo-dads?

17. I use a older Sony FD88 1.3 meg pixels(3.5 floppy)for internet stuff it's worked fine....I also work for a professional photographer, I do most of the black and white stuff. We mostly use the Hasselblad 2.25 X 2.25 format cameras, but I like the Sony FD for preshoots and for just having fun.. I took this picture with the Sony on standard settings. It can take better quality pictures, but like Munji said it uses up all the disk.[​IMG]
  18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
  19. Nikon, Canon, etc. They all make digital slr's, and you can change lenses just like any other slr. However, be prepared to spend 3k or more for the same qualities you get in standard good quality slr's.
  20. Munji, yea I know what your thinking....I think thats what excited me about photographing the persimmons.. what a juicy tender sweet Persimmon that dangles so nicely like a lovely nut sack...You should see this tree when it is full of those sweet dangelers. Last year they were really hanging low and the biggest I'v ever seen them..they were just aching to burst with that sweet juice, some were dripping with pride. Last year I did a whole series of photo's from that one tree!