Hey Quadzilla! Wheres the write up on those Avatars?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TJBass, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Just curious to know how they worked out tonight...
  2. yeah i am definatly considering the avatar 1-15 and 2-10, and your review of either would be a great insight

To resist is to piss in the wind
    Anyone who does will end up smelling
  3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I was a little too errr, happy from the beers and sound last night to write a review. I am going to write one now and post....
  4. Quadzilla

This is an update to my original thread linked here ---> Link

For starters, my ears are still ringing! Direct quote from the other guys in the band, the new rig is "over the top".

Let's start off by saying that this thing is LOUD. I had the preamp on the tube side up 2/3 and the solid state 1/4". I then only had the Master volume know at .8 (yes that's less than 1) and it was barely tolerable (in volume) in a 1200 sq ft basement where we practice.

Ok now for the real stuff. The 4x10 is VERY punchie. This thing pops (like pow!) when you slap it!!!! I only had the horn set to about 2 (on a 1-10 scale) cause it is VERY bright. I've never used a cab with a horn before, so this might just take some getting used to. Our guitarist called the horn "the shark" last night cause as he put it, "it just bites right into you". The 4x10 is tight, and bright. I only have a 4 stirnger so I can't tell you how low it would go with a 5 or 6 stringer, but it obviously handles everything my American P can give it... I does have a lot of "growl" also. At practice, I was using an GK 4x10 before the Avatar. Bottom line, the GK and my old Laney 4x10 don't hold a candle to the Avatar. the downside, the Avatar 4x10 is prob 20ish pounds heavier than the GK or Laney 4x10. Most of that is prob just the shear weight of the big Eminence speakers, magnets plus the 3/4" plywood and size of the cab. The Avatar is a bit larger (not much) than my Laney and the GK. The Avatar is about 80 lbs and the Laney and GK are about 60 ish...

Now onto the 15". This thing "rocks the house" and provides some serious low rumbles. The other band members want me to take it out of he loop next practice. The guys wife upstairs said the whole house was rattling. She is obviously not a big fan of my new rig ;) !!! This 15 is better suited to a medium to large sized gig cause of the ear drum popping lows it pumps. If you are not going to play a good sized gig, don't waste your money cause it's overkill for anything less than a medium to large sized gig. We don't have a big gig till June, so I will have to give you an update on the 15 then, but I'm sure that it will reign supreme. The guys said that they don't even see a real need for me to go through the PA at a gig with this rig, but that will have to be seen.

Oh, everyone in the band commented on the killer built quality on the cabs. They thought it was as good as anybody's out there. I must agree, these cabs could survive a nuclear explosion (and the weight reflects it :eek: ). If you have any questions or see that I didn't cover something, let me know.

5. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Thanks for the review, I was curious to see how you made out with those cabs as well. I have not come across them yet, but I hope to hear them sometime in the future.
  6. quad -

great to hear that the avatars did not let you down. have some addtl questions for you - how did you eq the Hartke? and did you get a chance to try either cab by itself last night?

7. Quadzilla

On the Hartke, I had the low contour at 3/4's and the high at just above 1/2. I did sort of a smily face on the eq with the lowest point ( the center) about half way up. I drop the last slider or two on the high's just a hair and same with the lowest slider (a hair). The guys really wanted to jam last night and did not give me too much time to tweak the eq settings. I will play with it more next jam. I will have my Hartke HA 7000 by then so I can use the built in crossover to send only lows to the 15.
  8. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    Here is another Avatar believer.

I bought the 1-15, and got it earlier this week. Havent rehearsed with it yet, but will this weekend. It sounds good, and rattles everything in the house that's not tied down.

I'm actually very impressed with it for the price. I really don't know how the guy sells 'em for what he does. I got it off Ebay for $173, plus $39 shipping.

I am going to ask him if he will build me a 4 ohm 2-10 with a horn or tweeter than can be bi-amped.

9. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    See Quad, I told you not to worry about the specs.;)

Glad you like it!:)
  10. Quadzilla

Specs or software does not always reflect sound.

11. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Quadzilla & Gman -- Do you think the 115 would make a good standalone cab for rock?
  12. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm taking it to rehearsal tomorrow. I'll let you know.

13. has anyone tried the avatar 2x10? im thinkin of getting the 2x10 and the 1x15...
  14. Quadzilla

Nah nah nah nah nah, I got mine for $169 plus $39 shipping off of Ebay. :p :p

Oh, as for it being a good stand alone. I personally would prob go for the 4x10 or 2x10. Avatar is releasing the 1x12 with horn soon. I might even wait for that to come out if I were you.
    :D ;) :)
  15. ScJaxx

ScJaxx Guest

Mar 15, 2002
    would a 2x10 be ok if put on top of the 1x15?

im asking not for me (im still new, looking for a good combo amp) but for my school for next year. our gymnasium isnt too big, but its the size of a MEDIUM gig.
  16. How do you think two of those 4x10s stacked would sound together...anything like a good 8x10? Can the horns be turned off?
  17. Quadzilla

2 - 4x10's would be punch, slap city. When you wail on them (slapping, popping), the 4x10 punches ya in the face. It's real punchie. 2 of em togther, wow! I'd love to try it!!!!
  18. Quadzilla

yeah 2x10 on the 15. That would be plenty in terms of cabs. Your head may be the bottleneck potencially. What kind you got?
  19. hey quad what do you mean by bottleneck?

im also probably going for a 115 and 210, which should i buy first?
  20. Quadzilla

I mean if you have a low wattage head, you may not have much headroom. Multiple cabs require a fair amount of wattage to drive them. I would start with a 200 watt head as the bare minimum. As far as which cab I personally would start with, it would definatly be the 2x10. It is a more versitle cab. The 2 10's will go almost as low as the 1 15 and will be more punchy and the 2 x 10 cab has the built in adjustable horn.