Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey retailers! How's your Christmas coming along?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Things ain't been so good at the shop here. It's the 13th and things are still pretty slow - not good. Another buddy of mine at a different music store just had their annual one day Christmas sale, and they were short $20,000 from the previous year. Yikes! I was chatting up some girls who work at the mall, and they were saying things were slow as well. Is this a strictly San Francisco thing? Could it be that we're all so depressed about the election that the Christmas spirit has dwindled? How is your business doing this year?

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That doesn't really make sense though since the majority voted for the winner. I guess that could be a factor in San Fran but I doubt it. In general I think everyone's still just pretty cautious about the economy.

brad cook

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Must be a san fran thing...

The muzak store my cousins own... bested their christmas income last year... and its only the 13th...

our friends toy shop is doing about 15% better than last year..

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I didn't mean for that comment to be taken seriously, Brad. I think it's just the economy being wonky, regardless.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I buy used stuff, so my dollars aren't going in anyones till.

-Mike

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sheah right...you just said something dumb and now you're trying to cover it up.....kinda like what I'm doing right now.

:bag:

brad cook

7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Out the door sales are going pretty well. Rentals however, are putting Christmas dinner on the table! I've had as many as 3 in one nite, and while it makes me tired, it pays well.

Ben, maybe Wal-Mart and the other big box stores are hurting ya'll? I know they have hurt me over here.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Eh? Do you mean those cheapo kiddie guitars that they're selling at the front of the store? Are people actually buying those?

brad cook

9. We are actually selling alot. Squier guitars are going like nuts, we can barely keep em in stock. People are bringin in all of their fossils to be repaired , repainted or anything. Money is good at the moment.

10. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Yup. People don't realize that music stores can actually be affordable. So, instead of just calling and asking what an inexpensive guitar goes for, they just Wal-Mart it. That and lawaway, which most music stores, myelf included, offer.

And like Charles, I've done alot of fossil repairs lately. Come January, I'll do alot of First Act repairs too.

11. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    I used to work in the custom shop of the company that makes a lot of those crappy guitars for Walmart (and Kmart, target, etc) and yeah, A LOT of people are buying them. That place was growing 35-40% every year.

12. I took notice of one of those one time, a les paul variation style, i asked someone who worked there if i could play it, she looked at me like i was crazy !

Ive always wanted to buy one, then go out in the parking lot and destroy it!

13. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't even know where the closest Wal*Mart is - I'm sure it's pretty far off. We do have a GC, but anytime I've been in there it's been dead as well.

14. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    The little kid stuff in the 25-100 is crap zone, but some of their "high end" stuff is okay for Taiwan made guitars.

We smashed plenty of those little guitars those...

15. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Well good ;)

16. We dont have to worry about GC taking customers away, there arent any GCs in Mississippi........Yet. Most of our competition comes from Mississippi Music, which is a pretty big local chain.

Just curious, does anyone else have those Wilson Brothers guitars??? Boss ordered those in October and we havent sold any , but they are odd little guitars. They have a really drowned out sound, aquatic almost. They are new i think.

17. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Dunno, man. I've been spending money in music stores, but I'm at the wrong end of the bay to shop in the Haight.

18. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I think that increased online shopping has caused a perceived hit on retail business.

I know that I'd much rather point and click than enter a mall and fight off the crowds during the Christmas season. That's a great way to kill the Christmas Spirit.

19. WHAT!!, whats more Christmas then getting trampled by a horde of rabid mothers on their way to duel for the last furby!! :D

20. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I, for one, would much rather buy in person. But, as DigMe can attest, I like to talk. I'm a people person :)