Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey Reverend Fans!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by James Ellis, Jul 25, 2000.

1. James Ellis

James Ellis

Mar 28, 2000
    At NAMM over the weekend, I got to try out the new Brad Houser model 5 string. You will like it VERY much.
    It has a neck that is wider in the upper register, but the same width at the nut as the regular 5. Neck radius is a bit flatter, so that you don't have that horrific feel.
    Pickups are reminiscent of a Fender Roscoe Beck 5.

It sounds and feels great, has a better bridge (a Hipshot). Met and talked with Brad about the bass... nice guy and a really nice bass.

James

2. Thanks James!! Man, that sounds cool. I've never been able to get a handle on the 5, in fact I bought a Reverend 5 when they first came out and it was absolutely awesome but I sold it 'cause it was just going to collect dust. Sounds like I may have to take another crack at it! What's the price on the Brad Houser model?

3. James Ellis

James Ellis

Mar 28, 2000
    Dave,
    The list is $1,300... I would figure you could get it at around $900. Really nice bass. I don't think they got away from a really solid Reverend tone... in fact, I think it is enhanced by this model.
    You try, you will like.

James

4. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by James Ellis:
    You try, you will like.

James
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of!!!

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  6. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dude:
    Here's a photo of the BH bass I took at NAMM last weekend...I loved it!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Steve, thanks for the picture. I did NOT need to see that! It's gorgeous.. especially the pickguard. Can't wait to try one out!

7. BTW, had to relate this story. Went to see a friend's band last night and their bass player didn't show in time for soundcheck. I know a few of their songs so I volunteered to fill in. I had my Reverend in the car but before I could go get it, the bass player from the other band comes up and says "Here, play mine." He proceeds to whip out a '51 Precision!! Re-fin and re-fret, but all original otherwise. Serial #42!!! It played pretty nice, sounded amazing. This guy tells me not only does he have the '51, he has a '53, '54, '55 and '59, as well as a mint condition, ice blue metallic '69 Jazz!
    Anyway, the best part is, I went out to my car and got my Reverend for him to check out, and he couldn't put it down. I tell him he should get one, and he says, "nah, it plays too easy.. if I was still doing the Victor Wooten stuff, I'd get one, but I'm just playing boom-chick country stuff now."

8. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD

Aug 19, 2000
    I have had a Rev Rocco guitar for 3 weeks and I am SO happy with it..if you are a Fender guy, it has that familiar feel......but the NECK is SO NICE!! I tried 3 basses at Ludlow Guitars in NYC, and they were fabulous. My next bass....soon(?) will be a Rev. Joe Naylor was so nice and helpful while I was making my decision, and he aswered my EMails quickly and professionally. He was VERY pleased that Will Ray from the Hellecasters ordered 2 Slingshot Customs (3 P-90's) at NAMM. Believe every good thing you have heard about them. Try one and you'll buy it!!!
    EMail Joe at ReverendMU@aol.com. Tell him IPLAYLOUD says hi!!