Hey Roscoe 6 stringers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gmarrazzo, Jan 12, 2005.

1. gmarrazzo

Jan 1, 2003
    Those devious folks at Bass Central have claimed another victim! I just took delivery of gorgeous Roscoe SKB-3006 (the black/gold stain-quilt maple one featured on their website) Hoping some of you Roscoe players might answer a few questions.
    1. Strings - Will I need extra longs? Lights or mediums?
    Tapered core B's?
    2 Setup - Action seems pretty darned good right out of the box, but I've read where some players have shimmed the neck. Any thoughts? Also, how much relief?
    thanks for the help
  2. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I didn't shim the neck and don't feel that it is necessary. Welcome to the Roscoe family!

If you find that the B and E strings are too loud, just tighten the pickup screws closest to those strings and loosen (a little) the ones closest to the G and C strings. That's about all the adjusting I needed for my bass besides a little neck and bridge adjusting.

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Beautiful bass you bought! The first thing I do to a bolt on is shim the neck with a business card. It makes all the difference for me. It works well if you play with a light touch. I use Ernie Ball slinky bass strings on my bass which I just buy off the shelf.
  4. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I had to shim the neck of my skb-3006 with two buisness cards to get the setup I like, but I dig it super low. I also had to adjust the pickups a fair bit to get the right string balance.

After making quite a bit of changes with the setup and stuff I was a litle worried that I wasn't going to like the roscoe that much. than about a week later I played my old bass for the first time since buying the roscoe and was blown away by how much better the roscoe is, it's like stealth awsome.

I found my setup worked best with an almost flat neck. as far a strings go my DR's work fine as is, not taper cores.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Looked at it on BC, gorgeous, congrats!
  6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

I have been drooling over that bass on their site ever since they put it on there. If only finances would have allowed right now, it would have been mine. :p
  7. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Congrats on purchasing a great bass!
    The Rosoce's require a Super Long B & E string for D'Addarrio sets. Standard DR strings fit. GHS Boomers fit (B & E just barely!). TI fit (B & E just barely).
  8. Hey G!
    Congrats on the new purchase! Very beautiful bass!

In fact, there are a LOT of beautiful new Roscoes there at Bass Central! I did a double-take on several of them!
  9. JetJazz

Sep 9, 2004
    Keith Roscoe will tell you the exact strings he ships the basses with and the strings are available from him directly if you can't find them.

10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    First, let me wipe up my drool... there... that's better... now that I can speak clearly... congrats on a beauty! :)

Tapered cores aren't necessary, but if that's what you like, I'm sure they'll work great on yer new SKB. I've always used straight guage on my LG, and it sounds incredible. I personally like DR HiBeams and LoRiders. They last a long time and sound awesome. For Nickels, I'll prolly try some Peavey Cirrus as well as DR Nickel LoRiders. I really like the Cirrus strings on my Cirrus', and they're cheap and feel/sound great. Mainly, tho, I've been using the 45-125 DR HiBeams. Rarely need the EQ with those. Maybe move up to a 130 B, but that's about it.

Dittos on the post where you could probably just leave it set up as is... I certainly didn't have to shim my neck, but I have read where others seem to have improved theirs that way. I'd just recommend spending a good amount of time with it before doing something like that. IMHO, this should rarely be needed.

On thing about those Roscoe necks is they are STIFF. Adding relief actualy requires the use of the "double" action truss rod. Just loosening it don't do it... maybe diff on a 6, but it's amazing how strong my neck is for how slim and "fast" it is.

If this is your first Roscoe, have some fresh underwear handy for the first time you plug it in and give it a little volume to work with. You will need them... that and a bib for the drool... if not, you already know what you're in for and that's good enough. :)
  11. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats on the new Roscoe! :hyper:
  12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Congratulations! :) :bassist:

Keith has got me addicted, I really love my Roscoe. :cool:

I play with a medium touch, my SKB3006 didn't require any shimming.

13. gmarrazzo

Jan 1, 2003
    Hey Gang
    many thanks for the congrats & advice.
    on my first jam with the SKB, the bandmates were blown away! to those of you who have admired the bass on the BC site, i can assure you - the pictures hardly do it justice!
    the grain of the quilt maple looks like velvet under the clear coat. sorry for snagging it first, but Perry @ BC made me an offer i could'nt refuse.
    thanks again,
  14. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Nice looking bass! I also dig the exhibition koa 3006 which is under it at Bass Central! (on the web page)
  15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I am not quite ready to lay down the cash for one anyway, and I am sure that when I am, there will be some other one that'll catch my eye. Seems to be the thing with Roscoes--just when you think you have see the nicest looking one there could be, he comes out with something even better. :)
  16. gmarrazzo

Jan 1, 2003
    Unfortunately, the bass did not come with an owners manual
    would y'all be able to help me out with a couple more questions?
    Which direction - facing the hex nut - to tighten the truss rod?
    The bass came with the Bart 3- band pre-amp. On the control cavity cover, there is an adjuster - what does this do?
  17. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Looking into the hex nut - clockwise to decrease relief; counter clockwise to increase relief. The Roscoe is a dual action truss rod so it will tighten either way with different results.

The trim pot adjusts the pre's input sensitivity. I run mine at about 1/2. The Bart pre is fairly hot even there. You can use it to match the approx. gain of your other basses to minimize adjustments to your amp/pre gain when changing basses.
  18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Ahhh...so you're Perry's victim...

...when Keith first sent pics of that bass to me, I almost fell out of my chair. And you're right, the pics are nothing like experiencing the bass first-hand, it's stunning!

For those of you that were drooling over that particular bass, there's another one with the same finish & wood choices in the works for us. Knowing Keith, he'll try to out-do himself (no offense, Glenn), and hurt me even more.

I think Keith has a mission in life to make me miserable selling his basses instead of taking all of them home....

...hey, JPJ, has the Pink Ivorywood bass made it to you yet? :D (I still hate you for snagging that before I knew about it :spit: ;) )

19. Joe, you are HARD CORE!! Chatting on Talkbass at 5:47 in the morning!! My hats off to you, man!! :D
  20. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Close.....very close! :smug: