Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey Rufus

Discussion in 'Ask Rufus Philpot' started by TheJimster, Mar 6, 2006.

1. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    I need to know from a pro bassists perspective...

I have been playing bass for maybe 5-6 months now and I have been getting more interested into Vibratos and Slides and Power/Regular chords on bass. I want to know if you have any advice as to how to make these techniques sound better?

2. rufusbass

rufusbass Skype Bass Lessons Now available.

Sep 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Hmm-well chords can obviously sound muddy in the lower registers-I generally stick to simple stuff like fifths or even tenths in the low register (think Stanley Clarke-School Days, Mark King -bridge section of The Chinese Way (good grief-how DO I know that!!!????) etc Geddy Lee likes 'em too.
    For thicker chords, I tend to move further up the neck for clarity. Get hip to adding ninths, elevenths, -different extensions to add colour and indeed, tension...
    Vibrato-keep your hand relaxed-I am NOT a fan of fast, nervous vibrato-that is not sexy in my book!! Slides too-use with moderation-otherwise they get tired sounding pretty fast. Anthony Jackson plays a killer slide idea in the Steve Khan track "Some Sharks" from the Eyewitness c.d."Casa Loco". Buy it-just because A.J. is really one of the most original and powerful voices to have ever emerged on the bass guitar.
    Really.
    In addition to power chords, slides ,vibrato, get into understanding about harmony, and music on as deep a level as you possibly can. That way when you do a slide, you pick the perfect moment to do it, and land on the perfect note too!

3. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    thanx for the advice my bass instructor has been telling me to relax my hands for better clarity and so my fingers wont hurt as much!
    Hey thanx for posting on my thread!

4. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    I was wondering if you have any tips for a band that might be getting to play their first gig? Like what and who to trust. Our guitarists are kind of nervous because they dont know if they can stay in sync. Since you've been playing for a while what would you say for advice to the group?