Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey say i wanna show off.........

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by AcousticBass, Jun 22, 2005.

1. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    Hey everyone say i wanna show off at these things at school, i know how to slap, working on mastering tapping, i got a digitech synth wah pedal, cry baby wah pedal, and a digitech bp200 multi, but i need to know what else i need to know to show off, im a complete n00by when it comes to all the techniques, like should i learn three finger method? double thumbing? flamenco idk...... please help.

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Sounds a little like wanking. IMO wanking, in every sense, is something best learned alone.;)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

More seriously, you may not want to hear this, but if music means anything to you, forget about "showing off." Think more about learning more and playing better.

Though I do hear that chicks dig the double-thump almost as much as the long ball, if that's where you're coming from.

3. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    Well, there's nothing wrong with showing off a bit though. A word of advice - don't learn a piece and think "that'll do for showing off," because you can guarantee that someone will come along and play something better - what do you do then? It might be better to just get really good in general, and then show off.

4. You need a bass, an amp, but only if it's electric, one finger, and something worth showing, minimum. Anything else is just icing. Work on your timing and your musicality instead of buying gear and attempting fancy techniques. If you can't make music with them, then they aren't much use are they?

EDIT: Not that there's anything wrong with showing off what you've got, but learning a few tricks and buying some gear in order to impress a few non-bassists (because bassists can tell how good you really are) is a waste of time.

5. Learn Teen Town and play it at.....oh, say......300bpm? That'll impress people :)

6. Thing is, if you want to impress people. Just practice around them. Yea, just regular practice. Practice modal patterns or slap grooving. The thing is, you have to be somewhat really good and you have to be really good at practicing.

7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Practice and get really good, that way no matter what you do people will be impressed. Just remember, really good bass playing is often only impressive to the other's you share the stage with!

8. Sometimes not the most technically impressive performances are the most amazing for non-musicians... just play the Mario theme, that will wow everybody, even if it isn't hard to play for you.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I use the Mario theme as a soundcheck on some of my gigs! And everyone recognizes it, too!

10. Maybe do a little Mario Underground Theme, too. Slapped, of course. :)

11. DrewBud

DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    Nashville
    I was always partial to the Flintstones theme ;)

12. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Stand on your head and then spin the bass around with your feet. I've never seen anybody do that.

13. Hehe...underground theme. 1 8 - b6 b13 - 6 13 (and repeat).

I've never seen any kind of break-dancing with a bass. That would look cool.

14. lopsy_lu

lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    just like victor wooten says,

"I call that the icing on the cake, but like real icing, it doesn't last long without the cake"​

I personally would value being able to hold down a groove much higher than being to pull off something flashy to impress people...if you can do that then fair enough, add something flashy if you want, but don't just jump straight to the showy stuff and ignore the basics, don't do a billy sheehan :)

15. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Please, he talks about a bass solo!

Also, i would be more impressed by someone who can pull of flashy stuff than someone who can "hold a groove", i mean, what's hardest?

Now i dont talk about you have to do flashy stuff, just that i'm would be more impressed, of course it might be better to "hold down a groove" in a song, but that doesn't impress people or does it? And i think a bass solo is meant to impress people..

16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    It's meant to make music. Or should be. Not the same thing.

17. DrewBud

DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    Nashville
    In reality..."holding a groove" is much harder..flashy stuff is learned tricks that anyone can pull off with enough time...but most of us spend our entire careers trying to groove like the best of 'em.

18. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    If you are learning bass simply to "show off" then I would suggest finding something else to do.

19. The desire to show off is a very superficial goal. Aim higher. Play something they can feel; something that speaks to their emotions. Whether it is joy, sadness, beauty, power or anything else. Then it will not be necessary to show off.

If you are really compelled to show off, play guitar.

20. Did a guitarist log on as you? :cool:
    Grooving is super hard. Trying so sync with the beat perfectly is hard work.