Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey Sight Readers

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Question: When you read, do those little symbols on the charts represent a note or postition on the fretboard for you? Because in my music class, we had to play the recorder :)rolleyes: :D ). So I got fairly use to the treble clef (oh boy) and the "notes" were thought of as notes but most of the time I thought more in position on the instrument, if you can call a recorder an instrument.

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Notes.

Part of knowing your instrument is knowing where all of those notes are to be found. If you think of it only as a fretboard position, you're severely limiting yourself.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ideally you should know all the notes on the fretboard so that when you see the notes on the staff they translate into notes on the fretboard instantly.

I'm with you stupidmatt, although not with a recorder, I learned treble clef fluently when I was a little kid, and it has made learning bass clef so much harder.

4. Notes. I first started learning the bass clef last year when I was offered the bass chair in my school's jazz band. After playing in the treble clef for about 8 years (recorder and Tenor Sax), it was quite the struggle, but I got used to it.

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yup, notes.

That's the difference between standard notation and tab.

I think that if you're thinking anything, you'd be better off thinking about the notes/intervals/degrees, than thinking about positions on the fingerboard. I think it's desirable to internalize fingerboard positions to the extent that you don't need to think about them - and can concentrate on the *music*, and just let your fingers worry about the fingerboard positions.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Interestingly, my reading skills vary markedly from instrument to instrument:

Trumpet-great. Bass-good. Drums-okay. Guitar-horrible.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    When I see the little symbols on the staff I think they tell me what to do with the note that its next to or above/below.

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've found similar things, actually.

Trumpet - great
    Bass - ok
    Piano - Very iffy!

It's playing all those notes at once that gets me, on the piano.

Not playing it - playing it is fine, I can think all the notes at once, and play them - it's just reading them that gets me.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

If I'm reading really well, they don't represent either notes or positions - they simply represent sounds. If I'm really tired or simply a bit off my game, they represent notes.

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Notes.

Mainly, because they show up in different places. I think of my position as what notes are under my hand at the moment.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I know the fretboard ok, I could know it better. As it stands with bass clef music, I really have to power my way through it, bar by bar. It's just that, I've been wanting to get into reading for sometime now. I of course, as a beginner see them as notes. I was just curious if you how you vets interpret them. I picked up a Bach book... it's a bit... over my head. First of all... most of it is Violin... lets think about fretboard sizes for a second. :eek: A bit of a difference.

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    They represent the elfin ghosts that live in my skull.

13. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Ditto- I am also trumpet player of 4 years..I am slowly becoming "bi-lingual" :D