Hey ska-dudes please check this out!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by frankencow150, Dec 15, 2001.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Hey,I wanna start making up some ska lines(you should know if you ever checked out my creating good basslines thread).Well are there any certain scales that ska bassists use?Some bands I'm thinking of are:

Less than Jake
    Save Ferris
    Mustard Plug
    Catch 22

Any help is appreciated!:D
  2. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    sorry i dont know the name of it. matt freeman from rancid uses it all the time.

3. Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    That's called the A major scale. I don't mean to be a smarta$$ or anything but looks like some people could benefit from learning some theory.;)
  4. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
  5. I am by no means a ska expert (I only like DHC, everything else is annoying to me), but isn't most if it just scales over the chords. Bassically walking lines, with less discipline.
  6. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    hey Velkov dont worry about it. i didnt see you post anything of use though. did i help at all? it is a useful scale and i know i have a lot of learning to do but i was trying to help all that i could.
  7. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    yes but you posted tAbZ for a major scale!!! That really has very little worth.
  8. old_skool, that is a major scale, that is the most basic scale. Every musician uses that. Its what all other chords, scales, and even keys are built off of.

From what I have heard, I believe ska bassists just use basic major, and minor scales. Not positive though. They just throw in some cool riffs over them. I dont listen to ska too much
  9. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    So are you saying it would have been better off if I just didnt post anything, even if it were semi educational? The point of talkbass is to help. Even if I only did a little, a little is better than none. I wasnt sure how to post it. I didnt know if I should post the note names, so assuming he is a novice ( no offence ), which I have no idea if he is, I thought that this would be the most helpful. Im no theory buff and I really am not that knowledgeable when I comes to this stuff. Im learning. I helped all I could.
  10. Sorry old_skool, I was simply trying to inform you of what the scale you pointed out was, and gave you some information. You have a point though about TB, people do tend to pounce on others who they think know less then them. And you were right, most Ska people do play the major scale, so you gave a correct answer. For future reference, though I would try to avoid posting with tabs. People tend to think wrongly of you then. Everyone just isnt as smart as everyone else.:p Maybe people should try to be more educational than critical
  11. Why not post tabs of the scale? Oh sure, he could post notation, but what's the point if you don't need to know the time or rythm? Besides, he offered more information than you did.
  12. ouch.

tabs aren't that bad. now think about it, not all of us can read proper music notation and tabs give these players a chance to learn new stuff. playing bass is for everyone now leave us be.
    and because i haven't said anything useful yet, frankencow, i say don't worry about what people say is the 'right' way to play ska. if you're in a band just play something that sort of fits, and maybe in a few years people will want to learn that cool new style which that frankencow dude made up.

but thats just my opinion, please don't bite my head off.
  13. Ska is a very good but overlooked style of music when it comes to bass.

Ska is a very basic three chordal kind of music

a ska song is usualy just as simple as punk rock

four Chords: C,G,F,A
    in punkrock the bassist usually strum the note in 8th or 16th
  14. in ska

the bass do a kind of simple arppegio

an it's a simmilar patern for most ska song
  15. that ska line is from the save ferris song
    under 21
  16. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    cool im gonna go try to make some stuff up.oohhh and i love that song...it sucks to be...under 21!the best save ferris song is "come on eileen" even though its a cover song.
  17. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    .... with reel big fish
  18. Id agree with that, ive never been able to read music, ive tried and failed, see in middle school, the only instruments they gave us were xylophones, maracca's and triangles, so i have a dislikeing for notation
  19. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Notation Owns!

i took my old newbie books and played them all again now reading the notation (cuz when i first read them i use the tabs instead)... im proud of my reading skills of notation...