Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey, smokers... i dont get it.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I've smoked a few cigarettes. I've never enjoyed one. My friend bought me a pack yesterday... I'm 3 into it, and I just don't get what is so great about it. I'm gonna throw them away.

Seriously, if you actually inhale, you just wanna cough... and it burns.

I do like cigars, so I end up smoking them like that.

Explain to me what is supposed to be addictive about it...

2. Try a clove cigarette, I think you may like them.

I'd recomend Djarum Blacks. The only stuff I smoke at the moment.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Clove cigarettes are the kind that smell really sweet, right?

4. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    Google = you will find answers if you search

If you don't like the ciggys taste and make you feel, then why would you not throw them away...wait on second thought don't throw them away your a real rebel; smoke the whole pack and make sure.

5. Something called nicotine.

6. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

OK, forgive me, but I'm I'm gonna get a bit preachy here.

My Dad passed away just 3 weeks ago suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (emphysema). He was 72, but looked 92.

He smoked for nearly 40 years, had a Director position with a multi-billion dollar company but had to retire early because he couldn't keep up and basically fought for every breath he took the last 10 years of his life.

This year he was in and out of hospital more than 90 days, because of his susceptibility to infections, he required more than $700.00 of drugs a month and was on permanent oxygen. He could barely make it from the car to the mall without collapsing out of breath and heaving.

It was really sad to see what smoking can do to a person as I saw my Dad's world got smaller and smaller. He definitely left this planet a lot earlier than he could have. Johnny Carson died of the same disease this spring.

30 years ago he was told he had the beginnings of emphyzema, but he didn't quit smoking until it was too late.

He was in hospital, and unable to make it to my daughter's wedding in February, and my mother said he was upset because he thought it might be the last time that he would be able to see everybody together. Turns out he was right.

I don't get it about smoking either.

Rant over, you guys go back to your regularly scheduled activities, AND DON'T SMOKE!

7. Took me 8 years of trying to quit before I finally got it right. Good luck!!!

Mike

8. yeah its a pretty dumb idea to just keep trying cigarettes if you don't like them to begin with. that's how people get addicted to them anyways, they'll just have a social smoke with friends, then they'll get addicted to the nicotine and start smoking a pack, sometimes two packs a day. Not to mention that it's expensive, and you could use that extra money for cool things, like basses and stuff :) .

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Ya. cigarettes suck.

Cigars are nice... I think i'll stick with my usual "cigar a month" ways.

10. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Its kind of like beer...at first you don't like it, but after a while, it starts to taste GOOD...

I quit for well over a year and when i picked up the first one at a bar one night, it tasted like crap. I should have put it down and walked away when i had the chance...

Anyone know someone whos tried hypnotherapy to quit? I've seriously thought about trying it.

11. I love a good cigar. I'll treat myself to about a half dozen per year.

12. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Aug 21, 2004
    Onatrio.Canada
    I've smoked 3 or 4 cigarettes in my life, I'm 18. I've smoked these to try to find out what the appeal is, stupid I know. But the last one I smoked I got the little "nicotine head-rush" that made it a little better, it didn't taste like total crap as others have, and really wasn't THAT bad. That being said, and having solved the "appeal" mystery, I don't think I need to smoke another one. Ever.

I already look cool enough. :bassist:

peace,
    johnny

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Nicotene.

Its expensive and will suck all your money away. Dont do it.

14. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    nicotine was originally used as an insecticide

15. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    And there is the whole nicotine addiction saga in a nutshell. This little fact has made tobacco company execs rich beyond your wildest dreams.

16. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    There is really no good reason to take up smoking. Im glad you didnt like it and wont continue. So many of us did enjoy it, and its not an easy habbit to quit. Several friends who have stopped say even years later, they still want a cigarette almost every day.

Im not looking forward to when I finally give them up...but I need too soon.

17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I put the pack in my truck... im gonna give them to my rastafarian friend who would smoke dog poop if he had too.

18. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I smoked (cigarettes) for about a year and then I realized I'm just paying to kill myself.

Here's a brief list of those tasty carcinogens:
    nicotine, acetone, ammonia, tar, benzene, cadmium, carbon monoxide, hydrogen cyanide, pyridine and many many others.

The Insider is a great flick about the industry.