Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey software gurus: what will do this for me?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Basschair, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hey all,

I need to be able to save MS Word docs as some sort of graphics file, preferrably as jpg files. I had an older copy of photoshop pro on a caput computer, and I'm pretty sure I was able to import text files into it, and was then able to convert/save to jpg. Will any other software (including the regular version of photoshop) be able to do this, or only PS Pro? I guess I'd be cool with pdf format as well, but jpg would be ideal.

thanks!

2. I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but you could try taking screenshots using the Prt Scr button, pasting it into MS paint, and saving as a JPG from there.

If PDF is ok, you can either download Open Office, which will read MS office documents and can export to PDF, or a plugin for Word that lets you do the same.

3. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

The plugin for Word might do it. Unfortunately (and fortunately), I'm on a Mac now and am still getting used to it, so I don't know all the tricks just yet.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

If you're on a mac, you're in for an easy trip. Open your document in Word and then pretend you're going to print your document. Once you've got the print window open, there's a 'save as PDF' (or something worded similarly) option.

I used this all the time for papers I wanted to lock down for computer-inept professors.

5. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Son of a...gun! You know, I had a feeling I'd seen something like that, but totally forgot where it was. Thanks!

Okay, so now another question:

The Adobe website is surprisingly short on detailed descriptions of their software. Does anyone know if Photoshop Elements will import jpg and convert them to or save as pdf? I've got to scan some business/resume docs and later convert them to pdf...

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You should be able to do the same thing with JPG's in Photoshop, as the 'save as PDF' feature is part of OSX rather than part of other software.

I don't know in particular if Elements has a separate function for this, but you shouldn't need it, I believe.

7. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    You can find a variety of print drivers that will "Print" your file to image formats, and you can use a generic postscript file or PDF print driver (ghostscript is a free one) that will make an EPS, Postscript, or PDF file that Photoshop Elements should be able to open and save as a JPG.

I haven't checked out the features of Photoshop Elements lately, but it certainly should be able to save the JPGs as PDFs, but you have to be aware that it will just be a PDF of the image. You will not have the ability to cut/copy/paste/search/etc. that you would from a PDF made straight from Word or other application. In order to do that you would need to use an OCR (Optical Charachter Recognition) software to conver the scan to text, but there is often a LOT of work needed after the OCR process to reformat the document and correct the mistakes they always make.

8. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Not a problem. I'm posting resume and references on a website designed for teachers to be able to apply for ed-based jobs online. In order to do it, you've got to have your documents uploaded as graphics files, and pdf is the most commonly used. They shouldn't need to use any recognition/searchable features, but rather will simply collect what information is submitted by applicants such as myself. So, file-type is all I'm worried about.

9. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    you can also try an application called OpenOffice as Davidoc says. that will do what you want.

10. I normally just print to file in Word and then use my Linux box with a little ps2pdf action to convert it to PDF. Word put the extension .prn, which you can just change to .ps.