Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey, sue me! I didn't know!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Today, I heard some of the most amazing bass playing. A mixture of slapping and stacato fingering. Brilliant playing! I asked this guy who we were listening to, and he said, "Oh that's the Dixie Dregs." :eek: I've NEVER listened to them. I went straight to Towers and bought the CD. Steve Morse was in this band. Hey, I didn't know! :D

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Hey Woodchuck the Bassist he was refering to is Andy West(before Dave Larue) a player who was way before his time. everything he did(at least to me)was very tasteful his fretless playing,funk grooves.solo's you name it and it was just on.his use of 4,5,6,and 8 non doubled string is worth checking out.for a while Aria was putting out an A.W.sig 6 string have fun :D

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, andy west is a cool dude, very down to earth and still a total bad ass.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...that, IMO, sounds more like Dave Larue's playing with The Dregs.

Andy West used a pick...didn't he?

In any event, the early Dregs' stuff(What If, Night Of The Living Dregs, Dregs Of The Earth) were definite favourites of mine back in the latter '70s.

BTW, if I recall, the band was originally called The Dixie Dregs...the powers-to-be suggested dropping the "Dixie" part 'cause it evoked a Southern Rock vibe.
    ...only recently was "Dixie" added back in. I think. ;)

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

and his fingers and thumb.like I said before,his every aproach was very tasteful and he was way ahead of his time.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Smash: I love the Allman Brothers. I can't believe that the Dixie Dregs slid under my nose.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    If you like Andy West, check out The Mistakes with Henry Kaiser, Mike Keneally and Prairie Prince.

Great stuff, heck the first song is called "Put The Bass In The Middle Of My Head" :D

8. Andy is a great player, first time I heard assembly line i stood in shock for a hour.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Wow, how I envy you Mr. Ed!
    My only and first chance to see Steve Morse is at a Deep Purple concert on August 28th.

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I also went to high school in the same area (and era) as Ed. In fact, I was in one of those "garage bands in Augusta thru the 70s and 80s with this wierd instrumental fixation..."

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hey Ed-
    Thanks, I knew you knew these guys. ;)

The Dregs had a following down here in SE Va back then, too.
    Two of the guys I'm playing with now used to play in a Dreg-style Rock band & opened for the Dregs back when they used to play places like Horne's Coliseum Inn in Hampton(a small club).

These two guys have some funny stories about those times...