Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey TalkBass...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gregory, May 28, 2003.

1. FNG here...
    But I am not a newbie to message boards in general so I know not to ask stupid newbie questions without using the FAQ and search options.

But anyway for the last week I've been obsessed with the bass and I've been playing my dad's Fender Jazz like 5 hours a day haha. I'm getting pretty good already too! I have seven years of piano in my background so I'm not a newbie to music itself. I'm not sure what came over me. I just got an A in Intro to Jazz at UNC Chapel Hill but I don't think that's it. Probably watching Ben Kenney of The Roots do an amazing ten minute long solo stint at a concert in Philly (he left The Roots to play with Incubus). Anyway just saying hi and I'm glad to be a part of this forum!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Welcome, Gregory ... sounds like you're hooked. Bass is MUCH easier than piano, too.

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I wouldn't say so, actually. Just me.

4. Bass guitar is easier in some ways, but the piano only has one key that produces the tone that equates to any one note on the staff (either staff). The bassist also has more responsibilities, even if we get treated like 3rd class citizens by many. Easier is narrowly relative...

5. But both are equally as fun! :D

6. Welcome, funny I am a bass player but have been thinking about getting into Piano.

Do they have the same notes?

7. Easier to carry...;)

8. MauriLii

MauriLii

Jan 19, 2003
    Kent, England
    Normally rabid granny makes a lot of sense, but here he's let us down. Bass is a lot more fun! (Sorry, gran' :))

And the reason why basses are easier to carry is due to the fact that nobody can afford a piano case with appropriate carry handles!;)

Have fun at TB. It's a pretty cool group of people here. Welcome.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    welcome to tb gregory. glad to have you here :)

10. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Welcome, didnt think they let Tarheels out without a visa from Dean Smith?

Mike

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Hi. I am the resident troll.

Everyone hates me.

:D

12. Welcome to TB Mike, resident troll?
    Sorry this is the first time I have seen you post.
    Guess I missed something.