Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey -- this thing is TOO HEAVY!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Nov 3, 2005.

1. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

To the Group -

I need some feedback.

Yesterday, I got a new bass in the mail. It is a nice instrument and I love the way it looks and sounds. Unfortunately, after practicing standing up with it for 15 minutes, my back/shoulder were KILLING ME!!!! (It's 12 hours later and my shoulder is STILL sore. And yes, I have a VERY WIDE strap.) :bawl:

I did some research/checking and I found out this thing weighs over 11 pounds. I realize that I'm in my mid 40's and the body ain't as spry as it used to be but MERCY!

Is it me or is that too heavy???

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    It seems to be too heavy for you.. That's all that matters, right?

3. Yeah, the mid-40's is beginning to suck for me, too! That's got to be the worst, though; get a bass and can't use it for long...

What kind is it? I just ordered a Warwick...

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Yep. It's that simple. There are things you can try to help deal with it if you really like it, otherwise get something else.

IMO of course. YMMV

5. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I sold one of the best Stingrays I've ever touched because it weighed almost 11 pounds.

Weight matters (especially when you start to get, um, older.)

Jack

6. do they have gracie stands for bass?

7. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Yeah, the advancing years are a drag .... :rolleyes:

Sometimes it's the design/cut of the bass that creates the problem. I used an Ibanez SXR505 for several years that absolutely felt like an anvil strapped to my back. I now use a Conklin 7 that doesn't bother me at all. Same strap (Comfort Strapp), same length of sets when playing, but no problems anymore. Actually I'm now almost three years older than I was when playing the Ibanez ....... and I think the 7 is about 1 pound heavier than that Ibanez 5, yet it's way more comfortable .......... :cool:

8. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Maybe not. I'm 42, and as I get older I'm finding that the height I hold the basss is more important than the weight. I used to wear my bass really high, but I noticed that I began to shrug while playing, hence tensing the shoulder. My basses aren't the heaviest, but dropping the bass down a couple inches really seemed to help. Just don't go too low, or you might start experiencing some low back pain...

9. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Awesome Point!!! There are also shoulder harness style straps that use both shoulders to hold up the bass. I have seen them and they look like they should work.

10. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    That's heavy. I got rid of a great 62 RI Jazz because it weighted 10.5 pounds. Even with the Custom Strapp, that bass felt like a ton of wood. When I was a younger person, I had no problems with heavier basses but no more.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm older than both of you... and have heavier basses.
    :hyper:

12. camman

camman The first and the second

Oct 25, 2005

Yup, they do. Mbrace makes one too.....

I did not like those heavy, oily wood warwicks for that reason. If the tone of the bass blew me away, I would deal with the weight, but the warwicks did not do it for me.

BTW Ioata, you can try one of those double straps, as they spread the weight more across both shoulders....I wish I could remember who makes them or what the marketing name is. They are almost like a bra but for your bass.... ;)

13. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    the two-shoulder strap is called the 'slider strap'

http://www.slider-straps.com/

I'm getting one for my heavy but awesome sounding ash Stingray 5...

14. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Word of caution on the Slider Strap. I bought one for an Alembic Series II that could never get to feel right. The Slider Strap put the bass in an even more awkward position than the regular strap. Needless to say I don't currently own either.

Bones

15. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Basses don't have to be heavy to sound good. My favorite basses weigh 6-7 lbs. I've been gigging like a madman lately; the heavy basses are staying home these days and my back
    is thanking me.

Slug

16. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> I used to have an Alembic Anniversary with a walnut
    body. I'd do a 5 hour gig and wake up the next morning feeling like I'd been mugged. I sold it and used the money towards a down payment on a house..

Slug

17. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> Yeah, but you're BRAD JOHNSON!!! :D

18. I had a 10.5 lb. L2000 that I eventually decided was just too heavy, but before I sold it I did buy a DARE strap which is another 2-shoulder strap. It did wonders.

19. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

... and I glory you in your spunk! :D

Unfortunately for me, chronic low-back pain + sciatica + heavy bass = :crying:

I think this thing is gonna get shipped back to the dealer.

20. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> Back problems ain't no fun... I had surgery for a herniated disc L5/S1 back in '97. All those years of
    playing big slabs of wood and humpin' an SVT.

Slug