Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey TomBowlus

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jive1, Nov 17, 2003.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I am curious about the custom 2x8 speaker cabinets at LowDownSound. I heard that they are making them regularly, and have some in stock. I am dying to know what they sound like. As well as how they compare to other 2x8s like the EA VL208, and 2x10s like Epifani, Eden, etc.

Since Tom is knowledgeable about speaker cabinets, and he frequents LowDown sound in Detroit, I was hoping Tom could help me, and possibly other Talkbassers out. So Tom, can you help us out with this the next time you head up there?

Thanks in advance.

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am not sure when I would get a chance to make it up there, but I would be more than happy to check them out. In fact, I am quite curious, myself. If you need feedback on 2x8's, I am familiar with VL-208's and with Accugroove's Tri 208. Both are wonderful. I also did get a chance to listen to the Epifani T-210UL, the Eden T-210XST (and XLT), and numerous other 2x10's (including VL-210B).

So, if feedback on any of those would be helpful, I can deliver. I have also heard two different 1x12's and one 1x15 by Low Down Sound (all were very impressive, BTW), but none of their 8" equipped cabs.

Tom.

3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Thanks Tom.
    I'm really just interested in the LowDownSound cabs. I know that they make a 2x8 that's supposed to be able to handle a low B, and the price and size is right what I am looking for. I only wish it were available in 8 ohm. Either way, I am dying to know what they sound like. They also make a 2x10 with a Neodymium speaker, and I am curious to know how it sounds compared to the Epifani UL series. Their 2x10 is about half the price of a new Epifani.

So, if you head up there let us know how they sound. We'll even tell em Tom sent us. Maybe they might give you a kickback if all of a sudden a bunch of 2x10 with NeoDymiums or 2x8s get sold. ;) BTW, they are nice guys to work with so far. I am just dying to know what their stuff sounds like. I trust your opinion Tom, so fill us in when you get the chance.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Will do. Considering that they have all the best gear right there in the store to compare to (Accugroove, EA, Epifani, Bergantino, Bag End, etc.), and having both heard Don's other cabs and seen his shop and how he builds them, I feel pretty secure in stating that his cabs should deliver the goods as promised.

Tom.