Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HEY TOMBOWLUS !!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B String, Jan 25, 2004.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Since you have both, i wanted to ask you about
    the low end of the wizzy 12 vs the epifani 12.
    I understand the differences in the highs, just
    want to get an idea about loudness and lows. If
    you would be so kind as to offer me an opinion.
    Other opinions GLADLY accepted! Thanks

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, I haven't done an A/B recently, but I feel pretty confident telling you that the T-112 is going to have a stronger low end (and high end, of course), while the Wizzy is going to kill the Epi in the mids. Also keep in mind that the Wizzy is a 4 ohm cab, and the Epi is 8 ohm. But, once you compensate for that, the Epi probably moves a bit more air, but the Wizzy has greater punch and clarity. My guess is that the T-112 can be pushed a little harder (I have slammed it pretty hard live) than the the Wizzy, although I have not attempted any loud gigs with the Wizzy.

I'd be happy to fire them both up tonight and give you mroe feedback. Any other specific questions regarding these two cabs?

Tom.

3. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the reply Tom.
    I'm trying to get away from the swr scooped
    mids sound. Hate it for upright bass. I do
    like the punchy low mids for electric though.
    The one time i used the wizzy live, it seemed
    to have a bigger more effortless low end then
    the goliath jr II, but the lack of highs bugged me. Epifani markets the 112 as THE doubling
    cab but it seems like you're saying its scooped
    like the swr. I plan to use a gk 1001rbII,
    which should help the mids some. My warm
    sounding Walter Woods could lack punch with the
    upright. Wish i could hear the epi before buying.
    This one box for most gigs thing ain't easy.
    I think the epifani 112 will get bigger and
    louder than the wizzy, but i would be most
    greatfull for a comparison. And again..thanks

4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The Epi is only "mid-scooped" when compared to extremely flat, accurate cabs like EA and Accugroove. And for the record, the Wizzy is one cab that EA intentionally designed not to be flat. It has a certain enhanced midrange response that is both intentional and very musical (to my ears, at least). But keep in mind that the Epifani T-112 should have more mids and better articulation than a Goliath, Jr. and many other cabs on the market.

If you are looking for the ultimate in a doubling cab, though, I would not put the Epifani T-112 near the top of my list. To be sure, it should do very well. But I think cabs from EA and Accugroove, and maybe even Raezer's Edge, are better suited for doubling. How loud do you need to be? What types of bands/music will you be covering?

Tom.

5. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Have you tried the Berg HT112? Sounds MUCH better for upright than the Wizzy. The tone is full and rich. Haven't tried the Epi.

6. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm fortunate enough to be a working bassist
    in LA. I don't expect one box to do everything
    volume wise, but i need versatility and sound
    quality. I've thought about the EA cxl112, but the GK 1001 seems like it might be a bad combo(harsh upper mids and highs) BUT... I have not
    heard the combo and i could be wrong. (opinions?)
    My favorite for real jazz gigs is the Woods and
    a box with 9x4&1/2in speakers. Speaks really
    fast with rediculous tone. Not for doubling.
    I'm open to other heads besides the GK, i just like the power and weight and plug in and play of the GK. I used an EA 350 once. Took much time away from the music to get a sound till i found
    a little white button was pushed in giving me much boom. p.s. Did anyone see the new Eden
    1x12? 38lbs, 32-14hz, 250watts, 103sensitivity.

7. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    For some reason my posts are coming out looking
    like e.e. commings poetry

8. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    I tried the GK RB1001 with my CXL112 and it is really, really good.

However, I like the preamp of the iAMP better and I am waiting for the new iAMP500 to come out.

I am currently using the CXL112 with my 200MB and it sounds really good, too, but the 100W is not enough power for everything.

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    No, I have not had the pleasure of auditioning any Bergantino cabs, but I would very much like to one of these days. Especially if it's better than the Wizzy (which I think is quite nice on upright).

FWIW, my favorite doubling cab is the EA VL-208. It sounds absolutely fantastic on upright. For electric, two (or better yet, three!) VL-208's are wonderful in all but the highest volume settings. A VL-110/VL-208 combo is also great for doubling.

On another front, you can just about bet on any 3 or 4 way Accugroove cab sounding phenomenal on both upright and electric. Just pick the cab that's right for the size/volume/budget and you're good to go.

Later, Tom.

10. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    ya know.. the funny thing is... a few of us
    checked out the accugroove 1x12 at namm. They
    were using a gk 1001. It could have been the
    situation, but even with the mid high and highs
    boosted, the box sounded warm and subdude.(sp?)
    It kills me to say it and i hope i'm wrong
    because those guys are as nice as it gets in
    the industry and i would love to see them be very
    succesfull. The Bergantino box was fantastic!
    Possibly the best tone, but i'd be nervous to
    only bring one box to a gig unless it was small
    and didn't need much low end. Wizzy has the lows.

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The thing with Accugroove cabs, as I have learned from Mark, is that they were meant to be EQ'd to your liking, as opposed to nailing a particular sound when set flat. This is somewhat of a philosophy change from other cabs I have owned and used, but following Mark's suggestions, I have to say that I have had very good results. Yes, Accugroove's aren't as bright or high-mid present as, say EA, but dial up a little here, a little there, and they respond very well.

One might say that Accugroove cabs present you with a canvas capable of reproducing whatever colors you would throw on it. At least, this has been my experience so far. I'll admit, it takes a little getting used to, but the results are good, and you can dial in some highs and it all stays tight and smooth, never harsh or brittle.

I still need to hear me some Bergies, though! And ACME, I know...

Later, Tom.

12. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003

Funny, I thought just the opposite about the Wizzy and Berg when comparing the lows. I'd feel much more comfortable bringing the Berg than the Wizzy to cover a gig. I've never owned a small box that will fill a room like the Berg HT112. The Berg with a Clarus 1 does a remakable job for electric and upright. Need more power, I bring the WW Ultra.Yes, I've owned the Wizzy(2 in fact).

13. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    See how life is??? For its size and weight, i
    felt the Wizzy had a big low end. Not the high
    end of some other boxes. The Bergantino had
    tone to die for but not as much blossom on the
    low end. I bet two of them would be very nice.

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've got to tell you, the Berg 112 IS the one cab does it all. I really believe in this little cabinet. I've been using them for a few years now and nothing has even touched it yet. I use one cab for quiet jazz, theater gigs and small rooms and I use two for everything else. My only instrument is a six string electric and these little cabs kill night after night. The Bergs with a Woods is really a dream come true rig as well. I know quite a few people with that combonation and I plan on getting the Woods sooner or later as well. It's true that you have to boost the bottom end a little with one Berg cab but it takes it and then some. There's nothing out there that I've tried that I can recommend(sp?) as much as the Bergantinos. Anyone that I know that tries a Berg cab buys one and by far the majority of them get the 112's.

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    B string, I have to tell you that there isn't a cab on the market with as much bloom as the Bergantino speakers. The farther away from the speaker you get the better they sound. They really fill a room in a special way. I just did Les Mis in a large auditorium with one Berg 112 behind eight or so other musicians and my bass filled the whole room with ease.

16. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I have to agree, I can pump the lows and the power to the Berg and it amazes how it handles it, much more so than the Wizzy.

17. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I went to the store to try out the berg 322 and walked out with two berg 112s. Great little do all cabs. Later I got the 322. BTW last month I had a show and I couldnt decide what cab to bring cos I new it would be loud but it was a small venue. (112s, 322 or 610). I took the two 112s and put 1100watts into them, against two marshal half stacks, and was very impressed with the berg 112s.

18. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I will agree that the berg 1x12 will handle more
    power than the wizzy. But my feeling is, if i'm
    only bringing one box to a multi style gig, the
    epifani, agi, or ea cxl 112, would give me more
    lows and volume. Am i wrong? Please.. I'm
    about to lay down the bling bling. AND, will
    these boxes work with the gk 1001 II. Seems like
    they would. (the iamp 500 is nice though)

19. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    First of all, I excluded in my decision any cab I could not pick up with one hand. That immediately knocked out the EA CXL112 and the Aggie. Don't know about the Epi. I tried the Wizzy, the Berg, and the EA CXL110. (yeah it's a 10 but it met my criteria). I must admit the tone of the EA is nice, but none of the cabs had the fullness and VOLUME of the Berg. It is by far the best portable cab.

BTW, I have a friend in Atlanta running a 1001RB-II with 2 Berg EX112's and likes it better than his Walter Woods. I'm planning on buying a GK in the next couple of weeks so I'll to keep you posted.

20. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ok, here's my opinion. You pretty much can't give the Berg enough volume, it loves it and takes it. As for the lows, don't be concerned with that being a problem. Just notch up the bass knob a tad and the 112 fills in perfectly. I just can't imagine a better sound.

As for the Aguilar 112 it's terrible in my opinion. The crossover sucks and the horn is really cheap. It sounds great at low volume but it farts out when you give it a push.

The epifani is a great cab, no complaints there. I just personally prefer the overall sound of the Berg. it's more open sounding to me and I like the crossover better.

The EA cab I've never tried. I've heard the older ones only and I didn't like them at all. Too sterile sounding to me. I imagine that it would work well for upright but not for electric. You'd have to eq the two instruments so differently for it to work.