Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hey toronto tb'ers !

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by john turner, Nov 8, 2002.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    just found out i'll be coming up to toronto november 27th and staying for almost a week.

it'd be really cool to get a chance to meet some of you folks - we'll be staying at the marriot eaton centre, so we could go hang out at eaton centre or somewhere.

also, do any of you toronto natives know of anything cool going on then? symphony/hockey/concerts - that type of stuff.

2. gah, thats the weekend i'll be at school, or in detroit, if i find anything out about whats going on i'll post.
    peace&plaid
    -shonk

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Dude, come up to Ottawa! :)

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    bump for toques, eh? :D

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    bump

6. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    Go watch the toronto maple leafs lose. :D

7. Go visit my ex at UT and smack her with some double-necked goodness! :D

Actually, I have nothing useful to say here. :p

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    John,

If you've never been there and have a few hours to kill, take a stroll around Kensington Market. It's a total trip!!!

9. I tend to go to Toronto every weekend (almost every weekend) and Id love to meet up.

curious as to why you are going?
    There is always hockey going on
    Also there are a few clubs around that are good (depending on what you want to listen to).

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    cool. we'll look into that. thanks for the headsup.

11. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    or you could stop by nash vegas and pick up your bodyguard.... those canadians i dont trust em sir

KIDDIN

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my wife is having some oral surgery done at university of toronto general hospital - the head of oral surgery there is the yoda of his field.

yeah, the leafs are playing the sabres, we might check that out, if there's any tix left.

cool - i've noticed in the past that there are loads of live music clubs on west queen street.

i'd dig hooking up too. pm me with some contact info, or just look me up - we're staying at the marriot eaton centre, the room will be registered in either my name or my wife's (barbara).

i might be bringing a bass or two. :D

13. kennsington market is amazing, I buy all my clothes from there. JT, wanna give me one of those basses? j/k however if you wanna meet up, let me know

14. Hey John:

I get into the big smoke with my ladyfriend occasionally to catch some club music. We go mainly for jazz and blues acts (my age is showing..), sometimes in some seedier venues (check out Grossman's tavern on Spadina if you like seedy - it's a legendary dive where everyone who is anyone in the TO music scene has played some time in their career).

The club scene seems to be dominated by "dance" clubs, unfortunately, with DJ's and ecstacy etc. :p

West Queen street is the best location to find a variety of live music clubs/styles in walkable range (although I'd bus it from the Eaton Centre to get there). My daughter goes to the Ontario College of Art and Design just off Queen west, and either she or her wannabe musician boyfriend probably know all the progressive/alternative venues in the area that I don't frequent.

I'm pretty busy with my day job during the week and I might be playing in Brampton Nov 29/30, but I'll at least try to give you a call. I'd love to hang for a bit, we'll see what things look like closer to then.

:cool:

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    cool! :) we like usually walk all along w. queen from the hotel (we stay there often) up to around bathurst or a bit further - is that a bad idea? it's always seemed safe the past 4 years or so that we've been coming to toronto.

also, we're definitely game for some jazz. :)

16. Hey JT, there is a cheap hotel called the rex near you, it sometimes has reallygood jazz bands there

17. I agree with Antipop, the Rex has great acts, local and international - I've got an indie jazz CD of Laura Hubert recorded live there. Laura is a Toronto singer who made her name locally with the Leslie Spit Treeo doing modern stuff, and is now on her own doing old standards- what a voice! Her KB player Peter Hill kills, and she has lots of great players sitting in. I think she is still on every Monday night at Grossman's tavern.

A good website for what's on is NOW

Walking is still safe - it just cuts into listening time!

18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    cool, thanks for the link. if you guys want, you can pm me some contact info, and then i'll try to get in touch with you when i get up there.

19. Stop by the MuchMusic (Cdn. MTV) HQ with your double neck and they will probably put you on teevee. If not, at least use it to bludgeon the VJ named Bradford. :)

20. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, i can do that. :D bradford, eh? sounds like a dork.