Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey Trip! Question about GK amps (again)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mesa Man, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Well I tried the 700 rb today and found it rather pleasing. I am thinking more about the 1001 though, and since you told me that there was a new preamp (less hiss) going into production soon.. I was just wondering when soon is, and from what serial# it will be found inside. (and will it be shipped overseas for aftermods?)

Will it be possible (through a DIY mod) to get the same function out of the "biamp mode" as the biamp in the 800rb?

If I got it right, all there is to it is just to split the speakon cable into two 1/4".. one for the woof, one for the tweet?

I will probably go for the 1001 over the 700 since I need lots of power sometimes, and power is always good to have :) The 700 was just up to the job, but not more I reckon. The 1001 will probably get it all straight. They do sound about the same dont they?

Another thing that crossed my mind recently is the rating of the 1001 vs the 700. In the manual to the 1001 it says 540w in both 8/4 ohms. The 700 is 225/380 in 8/4 ohms. How is that possible?

Even more...

According to pictures of the backsides it says total power consumption (no not to be mixed up with the output..I know) Again, the manual states (picture wise) 615 watts maximum and 210w average.. for both amps (700 and 1001)?! Clearly things must have been messed up here..or? Even more confusion pours into my already confused brain, when looking at the backside images at GK website. It says that the 700 has got 615W max and 210 average, correspondingly the 1001 seems to have ratings like 1030(?)w max and 350 average? Since I dont have the opportunity to look for myself on real amps at this moment.. I will have to ask you what really is real, and where it is mixed up? It seems very strange that the 1001 would have the same power consumption as the 700 despite the 160w more?

What does it say at the backside of the amps?

Hope you can answer this.. :)

See ya!

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Buy the 1001. I've tried both, and given the small price diff, I went with the 1001 just to have the extra power.

The manual for my 1001 says...

540 watts @ 8 ohms and 4 ohms. further research with GK indicated that this is a typo. The rating for 8 ohms is 340 watts.

3. Yeah, I will probably go with 1001 when the day comes. Thanks for yor input! :)

4. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Trip here! I went out of town on family biz and just now saw your post. The rating on the 1001 was a typo. Sorry. About the the quieter amps and the like. I have been sworn to secrecy by Bob Gallien. They will be shipping at the turn of the new year. This is all I can say: When the new stuff hits the market people are gonna freak out! There are also things on the design table that are again going to freak people out again.... New amps, preamps and speaker cabs.......
    As for modding the crossover of the 1001 to be like the 800, that's not possible. There is a way to mod the speakon and another cab. I don't usually like to talk about that because, of course, we want people to buy our RBH cabs and use the entire system. You can send me a PM message and I can see what's up with helping you.
    All of our heads use a multiple rail power amp design so in other words they supposedly do more with less from the wall. Hope this helps.

TRIP

5. Allrighty, thanks for the reply. I will PM you about the details, what I had in mind. I will probably go the 1001 way when time comes. (In a not too distant future) I reckon that the 1001 will be more fit for my needs than the 700.. at least I got the impression that the 700 was on the edge of its capability power-wise when I tried it. Great sound though! :)

Later! :cool:

6. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    The 1001RB kicks some major booty!!!You will not be disappointed with this head.I put one up against my 400S and a Bass 750 and it blew both of them away in volume,headroom and tone.All of that clean headroom makes a difference when you're playing at high volume levels.

7. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Just wait guys. Just wait....That's all I can say....;)

8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Oh all knowing all seeing all
    informed Trip of gk... Tell us
    how long must we wait? A month?
    Two or three months? Been thinkin
    about a 1001rb for a while. I can
    wait a little longer but I hope my
    old 800rb can. I must have missed
    it. Are we talking power or tone
    changes, or reliability changes?

9. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    I have been sworn to secrecy. I have to keep my word. I would say hold on until December. I may have permission then. Until that time I can't tick off the boss. I already chew his ear off with ideas and things. Really just wait. A lot of folks are in for a real suprise. I think at least. I love you guys! Just sit tight!;)

10. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Relialbility change is already in progress. THAT I can say for sure!:)

11. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Trip... you know you shouldn't tease the customers... :D

12. Hmm, now Im getting curious too.. What can it be this time? A coffee machine? An "instant good sound button" (wish I had one of those ;) )

I will probably PM you Trip when I figure out what to do.

13. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Just squeezed a little out of GK.
    New 2001rb coming with two amps
    (for stereo and bridged mono).
    New look for 1001rb and 700rb.
    More of a chrome look on the front,
    with some dark grey thrown in too.
    They made it sound as if there will
    be a slight sound improvement as well.
    Tough to get any info out of these guys.
    Very guarded. New gear may be out in
    January. Sounds like N.A.M.M. stuff.

14. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    It is indeed NAMM stuff. I wish I could tell you all. But Bob G. swore me to secrecy. Can't break the code. I really want to right now. I really want to. Just hang on.....

15. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    OH TRIIIPP.....
    So I guess it's safe to say that
    these amps won't really be available
    till early to mid February.... huh?
    Are they really that much improved
    over the amps out now? Will the list
    price be higher on the new products?

16. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Hey Trip et al -

Sold my GK1001RB a month or two ago since I was mostly using my rack system (Avalon U5 plus Stewart World 1.2) and I had accumulated five amps and was in amp clearance mode. But for some reason I missed the GK, so I just went down to my friendly local music store and bought a 700 since they don't stock the 1001. Too impatient to wait until NAMM for the new stuff!

I am using the 700 with an Epifani T-112 as my portable/practice rig and like it a lot. Not quite as much oomph as the 1001 - the 1001 is really quite the little monster - but it works fine. Even though my rack rig is relatively small and light, the GK is that much smaller and lighter, and I like the grab-and-go convenience.

One niggling complaint: the speaker cable for the 700RB came with flimsy cheesy imitation Speakon connectors instead of the real thing like GK used to provide. You have to finagle them to get them into the socket, since the center part is off-center. Real Neutrik connectors are only a few bucks each - kind of a strange place to be cheaping out.

17. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    So Trip, what about those G-K coffee mugs?

18. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Man. I don't know if they were ever produced. Hell.....I WANT ONE! Denied. I will buck to get them to the public. Bob G. knows I TAKE MY COFFEE REAL SERIOUS! I'll see what I can do.