Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey Trip, what happened inside my GK700RB?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Sep 4, 2002.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    So I was unloading my GK 700RB/210 combo from my car the other day and heard some rattling inside. I took the amp out and there was a nut, 2 washers, and a 4" circular metal plate floating around inside!

Seems like this plate screws onto the top of the transformer(?) and the nut must have gotten loose. Good thing I caught this as it could've damaged some components inside.

So what exactly is the metal plate for anyway?

2. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Bump. I know he's around somewhere!:D

3. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    It's for exactly what you thought it was for - to hold down the toroidal power transformer. If you want to reinstall it, just center the transformer over the bolt, put on the plate and washers and nut, and tighten it down snugly. Since it vibrated loose in the first place, I'd use a self-locking (nylon insert) nut and fix it once and for all!

You can get those locking nuts at any hardware store. It's probably a "1/4-20", but take the old one to make sure.

Loose transformers can cause LOTS of damage. You're lucky!?! :)

NB

4. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Sorry guys! I'm here! I was bogged down in cell phone tecnology hell and computer hell and hell in general. The afore mentioned plate holds the tranformer to the chassis. Just tighten things down again. To prevent anything like this again; Dab some clear nail polish on the screw threads. This will prevent it from coming loose again. This is what I do to keep my Zons bridge saddles from migrating. The nail polish will not hurt anything and using loctite could ruin further possibility of extracting the thing for service. A lock washer can be used as well if nail polish isn't in the house. Hope this helps. Can you tell me what "BUMP" means?

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    "Bump" means that a poster is pushing a thread to the top of the list to get attention without adding specific content.

"By the Way" ;) Did you see Flea's GK Rig on VH1? I couild not tell exactly which amps he is running. Do you have more info on that?

6. Actually, if used properly, loctite should be the solution. First off there are several grades of loctite; two of the most common are blue and red. Blue is low strength (seemingly the correct choice for you) and red is stronger (bearing and stud mount). If there is room to get at the bolt with a micro-torch I'd use the red, if not, use the blue. When the time comes to remove the transformer just slightly heat the bolt and the red loctite will liquify making the removal a snap... and it'll NEVER come off by accident.

People trust their lives to loctite. It's one of the best products around.

Good luck!

7. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    I was not aware of different loctite grades. Learn something new everyday. Thanks!

8. Actually there are three grades... green is for already assembled parts (it wicks between the threads). You can find out more at: Loctite Products/Threadlockers

9. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    its a gk..thats what happened

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

....oooooh, Trip'll getcha for that one!

:p

:D

While I'm a confirmed Eden freak (well...maybe just a freak that uses Eden :p), I have a lot of respect for the reliability and tone of GK's stuff.

11. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Thanks for all the help, guys!

I'm going to go with Nightbass' idea and get a self-locking nut from the hardware store. I'll pick up the rubber feet I need for my sound isolation board as well!

12. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    No, I won't "get" anyone. Hard words bring more hard words. Where will it end? If someone wants to be mean let them. While they are being mean and vindictive the rest of will playing our basses. I have mine on while I'm typing this. I'll go play now. I have some gigs and clinics coming up.

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA

...sorry dude, my sarcasm doesn't translate well to the internet...

:)

14. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Dearest GARD,

No need for apologies at all my man! I just got a little frustrated. (not with you though) That's all.

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey, where are your clinics, man?

brad cook

16. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    I'm about to go play some zydeco in Australia and Rio. Doing a clinic at Total Entertainment in Daytoa Beach FLA on SEP 21st. There are more to come this year. I'll post them all on my site. Hope you are well and all is good!

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Daytoa Beach??? Izzat ennywhere near DaytoNa Beach???

;)

(Insert wise-@$$ sarcasm here)

....should we 'spect to see you whilst you're in the neighborhood?

18. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Artoo Detoa. Se Threpeoa. Tuta mishka du Jabba du Hutt? It would indeed be DAYTONA BEACH. Fergive mye misspeling theze thingz. I will do my derndest to drop by the store. Count on it.

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Egg-sell-ent! Pee-zaz awn mi...

:D

...we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...