Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hey turkish tb'ers!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by john turner, May 1, 2003.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    are you guys ok? i heard there was a big quake in turkey, i hope everything is ok for you folks.

2. Bingol's a long way from Ankara, but thanks for your concern.

As the head of the Kandili (istanbul) seismic observatory is on record as saying, earthquakes don't kill people. Buildings kill people. That's why people die in Turkish earthquakes but not in American or japanese ones...a lot to learn here, there is...

3. hope your friends & families are OK!! :( :)

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    is turkey pretty geologically active? i know there was the one about a year or two ago that was really violent, but has that always been the case?

5. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    Yeah it is active. Especially northern west parts which are also most economically important places. Istanbul for instance is a really dangerous place. And whats more, if it happens, we are really quite done for. Being surrounded by sea has its disadvantages. And having ******* construction firms makes it even bigger. And most of the roads would probably be trashed and Istanbul is a biiiiiiig city. Well only then we will learn I guess...

And guys thanks for your concern.

6. I remember one a few years ago that was so bad my dad and the resque squad he's in had to go over there to help. He has some incredible pictures and stories from that.

Hope everyone's O.K.

7. Yes, it's said that the Arabic peninsula is pushing Anatolia (asian part of Turkey) toward Europe (maybe through this, we can enter to European Union ;) ) and this causes those earthquakes.

I'm living in Istanbul. Nearly 1/6 of all the Turkish population lives here and in 30 years time a very strong earthquake of something 7.0-8.0 is expected here (the scientific people says so). And when it will happen probably there will be thousands of death (not 3 or 4 we are talking about at least nearly 100.000 people) and probably an economical death (we are already dead but anyway).

What are we doing for this coming eartquake? Hmmm, nothing important but to wait.

Unfortunately you'll continue to hear those kind of news in the future, unfortunately...