1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hey U Luthiers. I need a 6 string fretless.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 00Funk, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    Neck through, wide string spacing, shaped like a mockingbird. Ive got 1500 to spend

2. i think youll find its against forum policy for a builder to approach you, you have to browse find work you like and pm the builder

3. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    besides that, you also need to find woods you like, if you want a top and back or not, preamp, pickups, bridge, tuners, everything that you left out.

do some research, and then find a luthier that you like, and ask him if it's possible for him to make it for you, you can't just say you want one, doesn't work like that.

psh, good luck finding a custom for 1500

Greg

4. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    At least you must have a general idea of what you are looking at as Greg just said plus which type of sound you want depending in the music you will mainly play with this bass. From that point several guys here will work with you and at the end you will have some great kicking a*s bass.

5. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Yep, give the guys here an idea of the tone you are looking for, hardware, and electronics, any possible woods you might want, and someone might be able to help you out.

6. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    I play Bootsy style funk, so Effects are allways on. Only thing Im really concerned about, is I want it lite weight, and I want a nice figured finger board that would look good under an epoxy coating. I want gold hardware, Hipshot Tremolo bridge, 1 MM style pickup, flamed maple body, with purple burst translucent paint job.

I know. Its going to be more than 1500.
    I can put that down, as a down payment though.

7. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Yep...probably more in the 2000+ range, and you must remember, with the hipshot Tremolo, string spacing is limited on how wide it can be. You say figured fingerboard, Maple? Bubinga? There are only a few suitable woods for a fretless FB that you can find figured. Now, wild grain pattern is a different story.

8. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    ok, as long as you know that it will cost more, then you're fine. Many lutheirs require half of the bass cost asa down payment, which is fine for you in this case because you will hopefully have enough for the down payment.

For the fingerboard, many of us around here like cocobolo, it's a very nicely figured wood, and will look good on flame maple.

For the body, a light weight wood that still has good tonal qualities is swamp ash. If you are wanting to spend some money on this, you might want to do a front and a back (looks nice IMO) or at least do an accent layer between the body and top, which would give it some contrast.

Are you really sure you want to do a flame maple body (sorry, I missed that the first time I read it), maple is a very bright sounding bass, and not exactly the lightest, but you can have the look of flame maple by just having the top.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure how cocobolo would look nect to a purple burst, but if you don't have to have figured, a nice black ebony always looks classy.

As for the pickup, I'm not sure who makes a 6 string MM pickup, I'm thinking that delano might, and I'll check up on that for you.

All these are just my opinions, so think what you want to about them.

Greg

9. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    Mainly, I wanted to see if anyone was confident enough in their abilities, to carve out a nice mockingbird body, that would fit a wide 6 string.

Im 45, might as well put a dream bass together.

Does anyone here carve out, their own graphite necks ? I would like a graphite neck through body, with an 80's style Jackson headstock.

Im talking 10 grand now. I bet Curbow, could put something like that together maybe. Curbo is HIGH dollar custom work

10. graphite necks are very difficult to make, I don't believe anyone here could do a 6 string (or even a 4) sorry.

11. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    a custom 6-string graphite neck-thru bass for $1500? since this would not be a production run bass that can aid in distributing the cost for tooling to make that neck, you might just want to quadruple your budget just for the neck. $10K - $15K is more like the price range you're talking for a complete custom bass with those specs.

for a figured fingerboard, you can utilize most any figured wood you like if you make the fingerboard from the acrylicized wood available from Larry @ Gallery Hardwoods. I have a gorgeous piece of spalted quilt maple that will adorn a fretless next year. you can see a small section of it in my avatar image. another advantage to the acrylicized fingerboard is that you don't need to epoxy it - just hone it down to a mirror finish
    Keep in mind that I am not offering to build such an instrument (added by Basschair, per Rodent's request)

all the best,

R

12. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    The Mockingbird shape might be a problem with most of the luthiers also, there are a few legalities involved. I've got a lot of custom basses and one request I see over and over is "please dont ask to build shapes of other manufacturers or luthiers".

13. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    Would you please explain how you do this ? I have a bass right now I need to do that to. thanks

What do you hone with ?

14. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    polish and a cloth I'm guessing...

but he's also talking about acrylicized wood, not just regular wood from a normal manufacturer, this is the good stuff he's talking about.

Good luck finding someone who can make you a graphite neck like that, search on google and find some manufacturers who build necks from graphite, and then ask if they even have the ability to do what you want.

I think a 7 piece neck would look and maybe feel better than a graphite one though.

Greg

15. Made me smile - thought I'd say "me too" with the neck thru and wide string spacing. Then I saw the "1500." I started doing the same thing when I turned 45. Turned 46 a couple of months ago, and my "dream" should be ready next month...maybe.....

I started saving for it when I was 42 - tuck away a little here, a little there, and a year's worth of investigation.

To be fair, you could get what you want for that...now, if you want something "nice," you gots to double that figure.

16. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Although I don't have other threads to quote as a precedent, I'd be inclined to agree. For the moment, this thread is closed until I can get a bit of feedback from others who know more than I :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.