Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hey u.s. and u.k. tb'ers in the military...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by john turner, Jan 31, 2003.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    any of you folks getting mobilized to go to the gulf?

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    bump

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    only in my dreams

4. neptoon, where are you stationed?

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Just a thought, but I'll wager that those who are being mobilized (or mobilised in the case of the UK ones) are probably spending the time that they still have with their families, so they may be kinda quiet around here....

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

strategic weapons facility pacific on bangor submarine base, washington...

7. cool. So do you have classified stuff? :D j/k

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    sorry, but that's classified...

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    Lump is near South Korea, correct? :eek:

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i think so. i wonder how everything is going over there.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    OPSEC, people.

(I'm worried about lump, too).

12. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Thanks for the concern guys (Jim, I'll PM ya when I get a chance). Sorry for the slow response--just got back from a little trip. All is cool though.

:D <--- See?

:eek:

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

ooo, lumpie, tell me too. :D

14. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    We're in the bucket later this year. I'm ready now, though. The idea of playing for those guys, doing my small part, is humbling. Put me on a plane, boss!

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My best buddie for the 13 years Ive known him just enlisted in the Navy, and is headed to boot camp somtime this summer.

I also tried to enlist but they do not take diabetics or other prople dependant on medication.

All I have to say is that I have nothing but respect for all of youw ho are willing to put your wel being on the line for the good of everyone else on earth. Im proud to say I know you, and wish you the best of luck and that you will help to resolve this conflict with the least amount of casualties as possible.

Peace
    Nick

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Don't worry, toon. I have some free time and I'll gladly dispatch Mr. Brodowski... with extreme prejudice.

Now where did I put my lucky garrot*?:D :eek:

*We definitely need a "sinister" smiley.

17. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    not out loud, man! hee hee

18. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    not out loud, man! hee hee

i have another year and a half left on shore duty here in bangor, washington so i'll be screening for sea duty again in about 6 months and getting my security clearance upgraded back to where it's supposed to be from my el-lamo clearance i hold as a bean counter...i'll be going to an SSGN this time, so it's going to be a different life. never been forward deployed in a submarine before. they probably won't let me play my bass at sea on one of those...

[​IMG]

19. I didn't know they had that classification (as opposed to SSBN). Are those Ohio-class boats refitted with vertical-launched Tomahawks, or what?

20. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    pete has hit the nail on the head...that's exactly what they're doing....the ohio and the michigan are already in the yards. the 728 and 729 are not too far behind. there are a couple different configurations they're tossing around at the moment as to whether they will have 20 tubes backfitted with 7 tomahawk launchers each or 22 tubes with 7 each. the other tubes will house gear and support special operations....decompression chambers for seals and stuff...really cool. instead of deploying two or three operators through a torpedo tube or a logistics/escape trunk, two whole seal teams will be able to deploy at once. now think about mixing the payload of those boats having sy, 16 tubes with 7 TLAM launchers a piece, 4 tubes with TRIDENT II D-5 missiles and still retain the capability to carry the spec op forces. mix and match baby. it's going to be a freakin' deadly platform.