Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey, what is this little switch

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    this little switch on the back of my amp: ground + or 0 or - can anybody explain?

2. That is a ground switch. It controls the polarity oof the ground, and whether it is connected or not. It hleps get rid of 60 cycle hum (oftebn heard when bad/dirty power is present). it is a nice little feature, so you don't have to plug your amp into an adapter.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    So if set on 0 then I am not grounded...and I can have + or - ground. I am guessing that it is prefered to be grounded, is there any difference between a + or - ground if all other things are equal (and if both work equally well?)

4. If your amp has a 3 prong plug, then you are always grounded regardless of the switch setting (assuming the outlet is grounded correctly). And if you have a 2 prong plug, then you are never grounded regardless of the switch setting. The switch is just connecting a capacitor from chassis to either of the AC lines, or neither of the AC lines in the 0 position. It helps with high frequency noise in some situations (fluorescent lights, etc.).

To set it, plug in your amp, plug in your bass, and touch the strings and listen for a "pop" from your speaker. Flip the switch and try again. In one of the positions, there will be less or no "pop", and that is what you want.

Chris