Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey....where's my head!?!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rmp5s, Sep 23, 2000.

1. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    I just bought a Peavy 410 and I need to get a head for it. I want to push the cab about 300 to 500 watts, max, and I have a limited budget. Any reccomendations? I really like SWR heads, but they are REALLY expensive. I did run it with a Hartke 350 head and it sounded pretty good. Something along those lines.

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
  3. Somewhere in Mississippi :D:D:D:D

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I used to have a Hartke 3500 head (in a combo) and I sold it. Wish I hadn't. I liked it a lot. Never had any problems with it, and it's pretty versatile, tone-wise.

5. danhei

danhei

Jan 21, 2000
    Hey,
    I have a Peavey 410 and I power it with a...Peavey Firebass. 700 W at 2 ohms, 475 at 4, 275 at 2. So the 410 is getting 475 (when used alone). I like the setup alot and it's LOUD!!!!! How much are you looking to spend? You can pick up a used Firebass pretty cheap (maybe $350 or less).

Dan

6. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    Munji: I really like that head a lot too. I was thinking about getting that one, but I'd like to push the cab just a little harder.

Danhei: I love that FIREBASS. Incredible. The first time I heard and felt really loud bass was with one of those. I left with my chest hurting. I even think that the time that I heard it before was with this same cab, that was years ago. Only problem is that the cab says 8ohms. I don't know what will happen if you push 2. If anyone does, please tell me.

7. I guess no one gets it:

ZZtop have a song called "My head's in Mississippi"

And Billy Gibbons asks himself at the end of the song "where's my head, baby? Somewhere in Mississippi!"

Please all laugh now........ thank you.

8. Hmmmm, whatever :rolleyes:

9. Quzumm

Quzumm

Sep 25, 2000
    Trondheim, Norway
    Ha-ha.

Jokes are soooooo funny when they have to be explained...

:rolleyes:

[Edited by Quzumm on 10-12-2000 at 02:47 PM]

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Last night I saw a cowgirl...

11. embellisher

Sorry Joris, wish I'd seen this earlier :)

Stumblin' through the parking lot.. of an invisible seven-eleven..

12. KampKomfort

KampKomfort

Jul 27, 2000
    ...I got my brown paper bag and my take-home pay...

And my head really IS in Mississippi (Jackson to be exact).
    Saw Top in Jackson last year (front row), and Dusty Hill was playing through 4X12 cabs I think. I liked that sound.

Sorry about perpetuating the thread drift. :)

KK

13. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Joris: You nut! Nice reference. Dusty Hill: call your service... :)

14. I think I read somewhere that Dusty plays through a Marshall guitar head and 4x12 cabinet. Imagine that...

15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Actually Dusty Hill plays through 3 Marshall JCM 900's and 6 custom made Creme 4x12's.

16. Last night I saw a naked cowgirl..... yeah I wish!! :rolleyes: :D

What took you so long????? Guys.....

I'm afraid (and sad too) I never saw them live. I'm Dutch and the Beards don't come here often....... but I'm a big fan. We played La Grange a few times. Groovy tune.

17. embellisher

She was walkin' across the ceiling...

Yeah, I wish too!

18. I thought she was spread across the ceiling...

and mumblin' to some hollow man... about some voodoo healin'

19. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    I'm looking still...something confuses me though. It says 8 ohms on the cab and nothing about 4 ohms or 2 ohms, etc. This mean that it can only be run at 8 ohms? What will happen if I ran it at 4 ohms? Is that even possible? Most of the heads I see have MASS WATTAGE at 2 and/or 4 ohms but then when you get to 8 there's not even close to enough. For example: Ampeg B-5R, 500 Watts at 2, 350 at 4, but then only 200 at 8. That's not NEAR enough. 350 I could live with but I'd like 400-500 maybe. Can I "select" the ohms or does the cab....um.....just do what it wants, I guess you can say... I'm frekken confused!!

20. embellisher

My bad, It's been to long since I heard the song. I'll have to rummage around here and find the CD.

I wonder what they took to get their heads in Mississippi?

:p