Hey!! you adults!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IvanMike, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Well in the last year or so i have been really impressed with how great a site this is. Tons of information and networking with a huge base of like minded individuals in a friendly (for the most part) environment.

I just re-paid my supporting member dues and got to thinking.
    I'm not picking on anyone in particular but i notice a lot of familiar names that are followed by "registered member"

Now look, if you're under 18 or so I'm not talking to you. But the rest of us are adults, (presumably with incomes). Paul has put together one hell of a site here and if you can't shell out $20 a year for all the perks...........well, you get the picture. At least pay up so the kids on the site can take advantage of something that we would have given anything for when we were teenagers learning how to play.

OK, I'm done......... :D
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im 15 and make about $200 a year. If i can pay, anyone can.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

4. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I am actually interested in people's reasons for not supporting. There are a lot of regular users here who don't support. I can understand the odd post people who don't support, but there is a large number of guys (and some girls) who post almost everyday and haven't ponied up the $20.

So cmon people, fess up, why havent you supported. At $20 its only a few cents a day and if you can find time to post here everyday, you can find time to setup a paypal account and transfer $20 to Paul....he does such a good job at providing a great service for us!

Edit: I should say that this is based mainly on the supposition that if you can afford internet access (and access to use it everyday (as a lot of regular posters seem to)), then chances are you afford $20. I know in Australia ISP access is usually at cheapest around $120 per year.
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Even I supported. And I am 20, married, with my own place, with no help from the 'rents. It's worth it to me. I wish I could afford a bit more.
  6. IvanMike, you got me - I stand accused, I plead No Contest only hear me out - I just signed up recently, and I've been out of work for nine months. We're not gigging right now (cutting an album on our own dime) and I'm hitting the bottom of my savings but I can scrape it up by the end of September I swear I'll eat dog-food and deliver pizzas if I have to. 'cause YOU'RE RIGHT, MAN!

"It's four o'clock, and time for the penguin to blow up"
  7. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, man. Don't put yourself out for it. We want to see these non-supporting, mutiple roscoe owning, freeloaders (no offense) help out a bit. :D

We just want everyone to gain something from this site, and all that gain, to contribute back what they can. Whether it's info, money, time, whatever. Rock on!
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This reminds me of that old commercial with Sally Struthers.

Either way, I agree...you people need to pay up!

brad cook
  9. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    my supporting membership runs out way soon :(

luckily i am getting paid by the government to go to school starting september, so we'll see what happens then :D
  10. pfft I'm Canadian, 20 dollars american could buy me a new house;) But realistically, every year I ask for a membership on here for christmas and never get it, and then always forget when I have an extra bit of money because quite frankly, if I have money I dont need to be stuck on a computer;)
  11. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I supported a while back, but I've been having problems with my bank for quite some time now, and have been unable to use my debit card. As soon as I get it sorted out (should actually be within a couple weeks now) I can use my card again, and I will support once more. There's no reason not to.
  12. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    Honestly, this thread makes me want to be a supporting member. I'm probably browsing the forums every other day (If not every day). But I'm new--a noob, and new to Talkbass--and don't have much knowledge to contribute to this forum. Can't a man just feel things out before he gives $20 to a cause that I could be using to buy a new bass?:) But in the future, when I get a job, I will cough up the money.:rolleyes: ;)
  13. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    They're not talking to you, man, they're talking to me.

brad cook
  14. I turning into not a kid, I'm like 17 *runs away crying*
  15. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Well, my significant other is self employed, she's in business with a partner, and a few months ago she lost her main account that she was making money on. She has one small account working which is good for maybe $150/month which doesn't go very far. She's had a falling out with her business partner over all of this and has become deeply depressed which seems to prevent her from going out and landing new accounts. It's not that she's lazy, it seems that the partnership is dissolving as her business partner isn't even talking to her and she's not sure where it all stands or what she can / should do next so how can she solicit new business if she's not really sure that she is in business. I'm more worried about her mental health / depression than I am about the business and her not making money right now. I've been paying her half of the rent as well as her car payment and a few other bills for several months now. This is of course, in addition to my own car payment & bills. I'm also buying the groceries for us as well as our two children and a few animals too. The monthly expenses are more than I make and I'm slowly slipping deeper and deeper into debt each month. I'm doing the best I can by working weekends (in addition to my regular mon-fri) as well as some double shifts during the week and a few odd jobs on the side. I've sold my beloved bass guitar and amp head to help pay bills and I am down to just a cheap Essex P clone and an ancient Peavy combo amp, which I will probably have to sell this week leaving me with no bass gear at all. I don't own a PC, I post here from work. I did support when I could afford it, but right now I really can't. My main priorities are trying to keep my family fed and a roof over our head. A supporting membership would honestly be irresponsible for me right now. My children are starting school soon and I have no idea how I'm going to afford school clothes for them. I don't know that I'll be able to get them so much as a new pair of shoes. I'm busting my butt, but I feel as if I'm failing as a provider. It's very embarrassing, and I didn't really think it was any of your business, but I thought I better post it since us non-supporters are being called out like this.
  16. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, at least you don't own multiple Roscoes. You're forgiven. We'll take your firstborn though, and make sure he/she ends up being a badass bass player. :)
  17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Not only do I feel that Matthew Bryson should not have had to justify not supporting TB, but I also feel that there is no responsibility to support. What's more, while I do wish to become a supporting member, it's not because I've been guilted by this thread -- but because I genuinely appreciate and love this site, and wish to support it how I can. Which, frankly, is the only reason to support. Paul has done an awesome thing with this site, but two great things about this site are (besides the awesome forum and lesson content) that 1. It's free, and 2. There's no pressure to be a virtuoso, to own a boutique bass, or to pay for the services this site provides.
    This site's "support" buttons are in two places: a small text link with the others, and an indicator in the posts of supporting members. There's no big thing on the front page saying "Donate" or a paypal link at every page -- and that's something that's awesome. No pressure, and because of that lack of pressure, I feel MORE inclined to support. Strange, no?
  18. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    No one has to justify why they don't support. Thats the wonderful thing about public forums, if someone posts a question, no one forces you to respond, you do so of your own will and you decide what you put in your posts.
  19. Yes, but the nature of this thread is a bit... pressuring on the registered users IMO. So it would seem some users would see it that they have to explain their position so they don't seem to be cheapskates, when a lot of the time that's not the case at all.

RE Original topic: This is a free site after all, and when we signed up nobody said we have to pay $20 a year, just that it was an option. And that's the beauty of options, we can accept or decline them. Lets try not jumping on those who declined, they have their reasons, just as you have yours for supporting.
  20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    +1 Thanks Leinad, exactly what I wanted to reply with...only I couldn't think of how to phrase it ;) -- it's 3:30am and my allergies are killing me, so it can take some time to form coherent replies :embarassed: .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.