Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hey you college students.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, May 10, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Well the semester is over and i'm moved back home for the summer....anyone else here can't stand it? I have only been home 2 days and already i'm going nuts. My parents have cats and never clean/dust/vacume the house, and i'm very alergic to cats. The house smells funny because of this and they hate it when i burn insense, and i'm an insense freak. I don't know how i'm going to get by.

The worst part is i can't play bass plugged in very much anymore. In my apartment i could jam out as late and as loud as i wanted, now i get yelled at for having it low on my little 10 watt amp. Ahhhhhh, this isn't cool, help!

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm pretty much in the exact opposite boat, I'm enjoying being home very much. Get to hang out with my dog, get to play bass out of my amp(which isn't in boston) Lots of great food here. The weather is wonderful. I get to see all my friends who I've missed while in boston. Even my Bed is more comfortable here.

3. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    i wish that was my situation. Living on my own in a college town puts you into some pretty significant habbits. When i come back home it's very difficult for me to adapt. Plus i'm used to my clean nice smelling apartment, my parents live like slobs. I guess this is just more motivation for me to move out perminatly ASAP. I just wish i had some kind of marketable skill or talent to do so.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I hear you on the habits thing, there are many little things that were nice in boston that I would do frequently. However, my mom is very good about keeping a clean house, so our house always smells great and is clean, can't say the same about my apartment! one of my roommates is just a total slob! When I first moved in, the place was reaking something raw, neither of my roommates realized because they had been living in it, turns ou it was the remnants of a protein shake that had been sitting in a pitcher on the counter for about 3 weeks!

5. I'm starting college in about a month (hooray for college summer school) but I'll still be living at home. Lame. :oops:

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I just got back to my dorm after a week at home and Im glad to be back.

Sure I saw a bunch of old friends and most of my new friends arent in town for the summer session, but I still love it up here. Gainesville is such a great place to live. Its so much more laid back than Miami and the freedom from the parents is the greatest thing ever.

Add to that the fact that now I can continue my search for a new band and I brought my rack back with me.

Peace
    Nick

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I'm moving back to my parents for the summer in a week.

+Free food served in the kitchen
    +Free beer in the fridge
    +Free living
    +Automatic laundry
    +Old mates in the old town
    +Woodwork shed
    +Own garden

-Less privacy (need to get a lock on the door)
    -Parents around

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I could be mistaken, but I think I have it better than most here....

I'm moving back on Wednesday. My situation, however, is a bit different.

I'm moving back to my house and there will be NOBODY THERE. My parents left for Alaska last Friday and won't be back until September. So, I have a house all to myself for the next 4 months. I'm not a wild partier or anything so it's not that big of a deal. It's just the fact that I will be able to live by myself in a nice house, sleep in my own bed, etc, yet not have to listen to my parents nag me about everything I do :D

Yay for summer!

9. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I feel your pain on this one, i had a slob for a roomate this year. Never cleaned ANYTHING, would use every dish in the joint and not wash them, as soon as me or my other roomates finally did his disrty dishes, he would repeat the same cycle. Left giant puddles of water on the bathroom floor after he took a shower, everytime we woke up in the mourning and walked into the bathroom with our socks on, it was quite annoying. Never changed his towl in the bathroom, and worst of all he would always eat most of the food we bought for ourselveres. He gained the well deserved nickname "EatBeast". As a result we had to get our own minifridges so we could buy are own food and drinks.

Still better then living at home though!

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    There's no joy of home for me. My folks have me pay rent if I'm there for longer than a month (they believe in independance, y'know?)

You dorm guys are lucky, you get a "stepping stone" to moving out. I went straight to my own place. Which, while nice, isn't all it's cracked up to be.

When I transfer, I'm actually gonna roll into a dorm, since it's easier going than my own place.

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    hahaha
    'eatbeast' is awesome

12. Dr Teeth

Dr Teeth

Dec 11, 2003
    Australia
    Well Bad Brains, I certainly sympathise.

I lived with my in-laws for 2 whole years after my hubby and I had an apartment for a year. It drove me batty!

My advice is to remember you are there for a limited, defined time and try to remember that you have your own space at college and your home is now your parent's space.
    Chose your battles and go day by day.

Try and find a space you can call your own while you're at home - even going for a walk in the park can help.

13. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Home?

I'm still studying for finals.

Looking forward to Good Food and my own room.

Not looking forward to my summer job or RI's humidity.

Am looking foward to Toasters' show the 22nd.

14. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    That's not always true, at my college living in the dorms is actually more expensive then having your own apartment. The dorms here are very heavily policed, i lived in them for 2 years, and luckly never got caught for anything.

Try looking for a cheap apartment before you consider the dorms, that's the better way to go.

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I saw the Toasters here a few weeks ago.

Fun show.

Peace
    Nick

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have no sympathy and only one thing to say :

GET A JOB!!

;)

17. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Simester? Over? Mines not over until June 13th.

18. Sounds like you're a bunch of lazy bassists. GET SOME GIGS ALREADY.

I go to school full time, work full time and gig on the weekends... I live on my own and don't have any trouble paying the bills. In fact I can pay my rent, dsl, satelite, power, gas and car expenses all from my gig money... and the rest is in the bank and a roth IRA. So what's your excuse for living with your parents? Really.

Let's say you get a job where you get 7 bucks an hour after taxes(it's not too hard and dont' tell me there's no jobs out there). 40 hours a week, that's 280 a week. that ends up being over 14000 a year, which is more than enough to pay for an appartment, school, and all expenses. Plus, living on your own gives you acces to all sorts of financial aid through your college. (Disregard this whole post if you go to a pricey private school, enjoy how much more money you make with a degree from an expensive school. It ain't gonna be enough to justify it).

And as an addendum, if you can't get a job to pay for yourself, then you probably need the guidance and supervision of your parents anyway. Responsibility comes when you want it and take it.

While you all play through headphones, I'll be practicing through my 12's and my eden. Turned up. To a descent level. Oh yeah.

19. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    BOOOHOOOO MY FINALS START ON JUNE 27TH... SO EAT THAT CRAP... BACK TO MY MIDTERM PAPERS DUE TOMOROW THAT I HAVENT STARTED (i havent turned in my 1st paper due 4 weeks ago either..)

CHEERS

20. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Ahhh hush up Lindfield :p :D

I'm going to be working 40+ hours a week in a tire factory in 95+ degree heat. I don't want to hear anything about "getting a job." :spit: