Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey, you guys from Iceland..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dave Siff, Apr 23, 2001.

1. There are a couple of you here, if I'm not mistaken..
    Anyway, there was a good article in the Sunday New York Times magazine about the music scene in Reykjavik. The article focused on a band called Sigur Ros, who are about to tour the U.S. The article said these guys are the biggest rock band in Iceland right now. It also said that in Reykjavik, almost everyone under 30 is in some kind of band.
    So, is this true? What's the scene like there? What's your opinion of Sigur Ros?

2. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I´m a fan, they´re great, and I´ve seen them once live (with The_Bass :)). They are definetily great, and if you get the chance of seeing them live, you should go..And it´s true, almost everyone under 30 is in some kind of band. We have this battle of the bands every year and there are always many bands there. There are also many metal bands, from hardcore to black metal..

3. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Hey, how do I get to Iceland from Texas in a U-Haul? If the music scene is that happening there, I might pack it all up!

Everyone under 30 in a band. What is the population of Iceland, anyway?

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The NYT Magazine made a big deal about them, but I'm not sure they're well suited for mainstream popularity; none of their songs is (or seems to be) less than eight minutes long. If I had to describe their sound, I'd say it's a cross between Radiohead and Portishead, with some symphonic Howard Hanson mixed in. It's definitely cool stuff, though, and the language barrier isn't an impediment to enjoying the music.

5. yeah ASR we're generally in the same area. and yeah the music scene around here isnt the greatest.

6. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    The population here is less 300.000 and I think 100.000-150.000 live in Reykjavík (the capital..)
    And they are really cool, some guy (important dude) in London asked them if they could shorten their songs to 3-4 minutes and sing only in English they said: Can you eat ****?:) They don´t even want to THINK about it..But although they aren´t this mainstream-type something they ARE very popular everywhere they´ve toured.

7. well, saying everybody under 30 are in a band would be pretty much... but I would say 20 - 30%.. and that´s still pretty much... btw... in my town (and phreaky´s) there are about 270 people... ca. 45 people in the elementary school (no HS here) and over 50 people in the music school.... go figure... :)

and Sigur Rós are a great band! :D

check out www.sigur-ros.com <-- their official site, with a cool message board
    and www.sigur-ros.co.uk <-- great site, with alot of bootleg and recordings of their stuff... even a whole concert they did in UK I think on .WMV form.. and the video to "Svefn-G-Englar" which is a great 10+ min. song.. :D

btw... Sigur Rós just bought a house (BIG house) and use it under a studio... their mixer board was so big, they had to take a part of the roof off and lift it in in 2 parts!! :)

try to go to their concert! you WON´T regret it! :)

oh, btw.. a cool icelandic site www.dordingull.com with alot of info about icelandic bands... I just realized that it´s not in english though... but go on http://www.dordingull.com/hardkjarni/hljomsveitir.html and check out the links.. most band pages are in english..

have fun!

8. and btw... you ARE mistaken... there are at least 3 of us... :) also einarkm ... although I haven´t seen him post in a while....

9. This is so cool!!! When I go on my European vacation in fall of 2002,I'm definitely stopping by Iceland(The last time I saw the place was back in 1976.)Definitely looking forward,we've got to hook up!!!

10. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Well, at least four of us ;-)
    I'm from Hafnarfjordur, Iceland :)