Hey, your tuner is in my Power Strip...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by uglybassplayer, Jun 19, 2002.

1. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Now that I'm starting get components to put my rack system together, I can't help but be a little bugged that I'll be taking up 2 rack spaces for both a power conditioner and a tuner :(. I know, I don't necessarily need to get rack versions of these, but just the same, why doesn't Furman and Sabine (or Korg) team up and make a 1U power conditioner that includes a tuner?

- Frank.
  2. Furman makes one; I have it in my rack. (See pic in link below.) It's fine. Also, the LEDs are bit small for stage use.
  3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I have a dumb question: instead of using a power conditioner (I like Pert 2-in-1), why not mount one of them-there multi-outlet surge protectors on your rig somewhere?

I guess I don't understand the need for a power conditioner, especially if you're worried about rack space.
  4. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    :D That's why I love you guys! :D

Doh! :eek: I went to zzounds.com site and did a search on power conditioners and never saw this one. Thanks!

Hategear, While I'm sure you can get away with that (in fact, I have two of those that I've used for my regular gear), the Furmans have power conditioning and RFI/EMI filtering and is better suited to deal with the high power consumption equipment like 1000 watt amps & such. I'm sure someone here who knows a lot more on the subject than I do can give us the actual differences between the two.

- Frank
  5. Just for the record;

I bought one of those PL-Tuner units thinking it was a great idea and promptly returned it. Truth be told, the tuner section wasn't accurate enough for me. I would tune until it the strings stayed on the middle (in tune) light, then i'd have to go through and fine tune it anyway... so why bother right? At least do yourself a favor and try one out before you buy... Great idea though :)

6. The tuner can be finicky but it get's the job done. I'm sure there are better and more versatile tuners but this is fine for me.

Also, I find that I try not to play in tune. It helps distract the listener from my lack of superlative technique. ;)
  7. lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I, too, have the Furman tuner and thinks it works okay. I find the low B has to be tuned using the 12th fret harmonic. I send it a signal from the effects send and everything works well.