Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey Zappa fans!!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Duke of Prunes, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Just to let you know, zappa.com is going to be accepting pre-orders for a new (that's right, new) release starting tomorrow!
    I am excited. :D
    Apparently they have to get 5,000 pre-orders before it can be shipped. It sounds pretty cool, though. Double live cd of a concert in Australia.
    You can check out the details here.

2. on Vh1's top 100 rock artists, there was this song on Zappa's part with piano, bass, drums, and maybe guitar... sort of an up-tempo number, and I didn't hear any lyrics. Anyone happen to know what it is? I know I'm being extremely vague, and I'm sorry, but if anyone has seen it recently and knows what I am talking about then maybe they can help... :confused: :confused: :confused:

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    was it piano or a synth?

4. I'm pretty sure it was piano.

5. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    good god, that could be any number of things... "The Black Page" maybe, if it had a lot of percussion too and no guitar; as the original recording of that tune was sans guitar as I recall. "Peaches En Regalia" has quite a bit of guitar in it... and it's really a mid tempo tune. Bugger. If I heard it, I could tell you in an instant what it was. :)

6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Vaulternative ? Is this gonna be a series of live releses. to bad thier not saying when this stuff was recorded:mad:

AJ

7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    considering its vh1 I would think its peaches (was there horns, catchy little ditty?) the black page would be pretty strange choice.Even the new york disco teeny bopper dance version;)

AJ

8. Every1TookMyName,
    I'm almost positive it was Peaches en Regalia. That's my favorite song of all time.

As for the new release, this is what it is rumored to be:

1-21-76 Horden Pavilion, Sydney, Australia

Intro, Stinkfoot, Dirty Love, Filthy Habits, How Could I Be Such A Fool, Aint Got No Heart, I'm Not Satisfied, Black Napkins, Advance Romance, Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me, Illinois Enema Bandit, Wind Up Workin' At A Gas Station, Tryin to Grow A Chin, Torture Never Stops, Let's Move to Cleveland, Kaiser Rolls, Find Her Finer, Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy, Lonely Little Girl, Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance, What's the Ugliest Part of Your Body?, Chunga's Revenge, Zoot Allures, Keep it Greasy, Dinah-moe Hum, Camarillo Brillo

Lineup:
    FZ-Guitar, Vocals
    Napoleon Murphy Brock-Sax,Vocals
    Andre Lewis-Hammond Organ
    Roy Estrada-Bass, Vocals
    Terry Bozzio-Drums, Vocals

According to some reliable sources on the affz newsgroup, this is it. At one time, rumours were that it was a '73 show. We should know by tomorrow for sure. Most people on the NG think there won't be enough pre-orders due to the inactivity of the official website, and the decline of FZ's fanbase. We'll find out soon.

I'm preordering mine!

9. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    bitchin. I'm pre-ordering one as well. :)

10. Just finished downloading The Black Page (there was a couple of songs ahead of it) and its definitely not it. Peaches is after a Smashing Pumpkins song, which I'm almost done with now.

And to stray further off topic (sorry) can you guys recommend any good Zappa instrumentals?

11. I will pre-order but darn it they better start putting out those promised laser disks on DVD or at least VHS.

12. Ted

Ted

Dec 11, 1999
    Off the top of my head....
    Anything from Hot Rats
    Most of The Grand Wazoo
    Echindna's Arf (Of You)
    Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?
    The Orange County Lumber Truck
    Zoot Allures
    Black Napkins
    Holiday in Berlin, Full Blown
    Watermelon in Easter Hay
    RDNZL
    I Promise Not to Come in Your Mouth
    Apostrophe (featuring Jack Bruce)
    Sofa No. 1
    Duke of Prunes
    The Deathless Horsie
    The Mammy Anthem
    ...and more that I'm probably missing.

It's important to note that Zappa's purely "instrumental" music ran the gamut from jazz to complex rock to guitar showcases to orchestral arrangements. I don't know exactly what you're looking for in an instrumental so I included a bit of everything.

13. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    To build on the previous list.. some of my instrumental favs of FZ's. These range from rock/jazz type instrumentals to orchestral to whatever. I've included albums that all songs can be found on that are my particular (released) favorite versions.

song - album

The Ocean is the Ultimate Solution - Sleep Dirt
    Sleep Dirt - Sleep Dirt
    The Purple Lagoon - Läther
    The Black Page (new age version) - The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life
    Let's Move To Cleveland - The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life
    Dupree's Paradise - You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore vol. 2
    Moggio - Zappa's Universe
    Thirteen - You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore vol. 6
    Uncle Meat - You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore vol. 2
    Nite School - Jazz From Hell
    Big Swifty - Waka Jawaka
    Waka Jawaka - Waka Jawaka
    Approximate - You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore vol. 4
    Strictly Genteel - Make A Jazz Noise Here
    Tink Walks Amok (gotta love bari sax.. :D ) - Man From Utopia
    Ruth is Sleeping - The Yellow Shark