Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey Zappa/Thunes Fans

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Ted, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Ted

Ted

Dec 11, 1999
    I recently picked up Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life, hoping to get a good taste of Scott Thunes' abilities. I've heard good things about him, though up to this point my interest in the Zappa discography was mainly in his 70's bands. While I like the track selection and the competency of the band, this is the first Zappa recording I ran into that is so "bass-lite" - Thunes sounds buried beneath the rest of the band. I don't know if it had something to do with the way they recorded, but the bass just doesn't come through much at all, even in comparison to the Grand Wazoo lineup. So I'm wondering what recordings do better justice to Thunes, preferably from a live performance.

2. Zappa was great!

on "Does humor belong in music" (video) you can hear the bass quite well. and he does lots of stage performances as well.

that video is great! :D

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    That would be my choice as well! It's one thing to hear a bassist play well, but to SEE the guy doing it while messing around like Scott does in this video...makes you realize that he'd not really even trying hard!

4. speaking of Thunes...

I remember reading an interview with him in bassplayer...

which I just found online:Click me!

:D

Don't call me a Bassplayer! :rolleyes:

5. Ted

Ted

Dec 11, 1999
    Video? You mean that old-fashioned VHS stuff? I'll check my local antique store!

6. jblake

jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
    Check out Make a Jazz Noise Here also. Thunes is really on top of his game on that one.