1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

heya mac guys - where'd you get your expansion ram?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by john turner, Mar 19, 2009.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've noticed that there are quite a few folks that sell ram online. i have a history dealing with a few of the places like newegg from when i was building my big cube computer a few years ago, but now i want to get some mac ram for my mac pro.

any of you mac guys deal with the more obscure places? the best deal i'm seeing at newegg is 85 bucks for 4 gigs. figuring 170 + shipping for the 8 gigs i want to get (give me 10 gig total) isn't half bad.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    ram is ram... so long as type/specs are matched. Newegg is still one of the better / reliable deals out there.

3. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, that's what i'm finding, regarding newegg's prices.

just wondering about the folks that rebrand stuff and sell it.

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I just bought mine from a retailer on Tottenham Court Road in London. Its a generic brand but seems to have done the job pretty well. The only issue it caused was when I upgraded to Leopard. The upgrade process kept failing until I removed the Ram. After the upgrade completed, I put the ram back in and everythings fine. Apparently this was a fairly common problem with nonapple branded ram.

5. anonymous_111514

anonymous_111514 Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    I heard you could just download moar ram?

6. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    i buy from new egg, and tigerdirect, for ram, and the littler things, but only from macmall for systems and bigger periphs. they always have scads of rebate deals, it's how they get around apple's price fixing.

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    +1 new egg. I buy from them for all my macs.

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's probably what i'll end up doing. just wanted to see what you guys had to say about it :).

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Most manufacturers, for example Kingston, have distinctive product codes for Mac memory modules. I think there's some very minor difference compared to standard PC RAM, but I'm not sure. The prices are pretty much the same on the "Mac" modules compared to the normal ones. Anyways, check their sites, then search the cheapest module of that code.

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, for my mac pro i need the mac-specific stuff because of the larger heatsinks.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Try Crucial.com as well. I doubled the RAM in my Macbook for $56 when Apple wanted $300.

Good products, great prices.

12. Another vote for Crucial here too. I didn't have any probs with the Leopard upgrade with the Crucial memory installed either, as always YMMV etc;

13. Once in a while Buy.com will have a good deal on RAM. Crucial and New Egg are always a solid choice.

14. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
  15. I was thinking of OWC when I wrote my initial reply, but I couldn't quite recall the exact name. Thanks, Phat Ham.