1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HH vs HS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Insanity^2, Feb 20, 2008.

1. I'm planning on buying a Bongo (used off eBay) but I have yet to find a 5-string HH, only H and HS models.
    How much versatility will you lose (If any?) with an HS Bongo, and is it worth waiting for/ paying more for?
    I'll probably end up with only using one or two settings anyway, is the difference that major?
    I'm also confused as to what the single coil does :confused: Is it just for even more hum canceling or does it provide you with more tones?
    Cheers, Tony

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The single coil is not for hum cancelling. It actually provides you with tones. You get the sound of the sc pup solod , as well as in combination with one, and two of the humbuckers coils.

They are equally as versatile, just slightly different tones, IMO.

The single H is my favorite though. :ninja:

3. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Different tones. You swap the humbucker for a SC, which I can't speak to the sound of that on a Bongo, only on SR and Sterlings. You do get a little hum with just the SC pup on those.

I have a HH Bongo, but have never played a HS Bongo (or seen one in stores for that matter)

4. \m/ They had it right the first time.

5. Right, cheers! so, the question now is...
    Which combination has more growl? ;)

6. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    The HH will sound fatter and punchier, due to having the H in the neck position. The HS will be a little more polite, though the difference is not all that big...it still sounds like a Bongo, only with a little less booty. But, if you really have a preference for HH, I would hold out until you find one.

Honestly, if I were to buy another Bongo I would go with a single H. I know they are supposed to be versatile, but I didn't the versatility to be usable in my case. I had an HH, but I didn't like the sound of either p/u soloed...bridge was too thin and neck was too fat. I usually had my blend knob at 75% bridge/25% neck, but even that was never exactly "right" for me. Eventually, I figured out that I was spending far too much time playing with the blend and the EQ trying to get the tone "right" instead of focusing on playing the thing, so I sold it. I think the single H would probably have been more what I was looking for. In case you're wondering, the single H and the HH with the bridge p/u soloed aren't the same because the single H pickup is a little more towards the neck than the bridge p/u on the HH model. There are actually quite a few who think the single H has the best tone of all the p/u configurations, so check 'em out. But, in the end, if its really an HH you want, don't settle for anything else. You won't cure the GAS that way, you'll just prolong it.

7. Believe me, I would if I could! Just around here one shop has a couple of Stingrays, and in every other shop you'll only find Fender, Gibson, Ibanez and starter brands :meh:
    I'm checking out the Musicman demo they're having in Sound Control this Saturday, really hoping for a Bongo demo :smug:
    At the moment I probably won't hear much difference between tones to distinguish between the HS and HH. But being a beginner I'm wanting a bass that'll help me find 'my sound', while being able to last me a good decade :)
    Spectors are pretty tempting too... how does a Rebop or LX compare to a bongo?... hehe, such weird names :)

8. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    I haven't tried an HH for a great amount of time, but I just got an HS. I love that you can get all sorts of tones out of it, but I did find that I wasn't a huge fan of the single coil like I thought I would be. I was going to sell my Sterling H, but turns out I still like the single H the best.

9. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Spectors and EBMM are both very well-made, aggressive sounding basses. I've had two Euro neck-through models and still have one (a 5er). If you set both EQs flat, the Bongo will sound deeper and smoother where the Spector will have more mids. I will say that my Spector has an EMG BTS preamp instead of the Tonepump. The Tonepump is nice, but the pre in the Bongo is definitely better IMO and one reason to take the Bongo over the Spector. However, I prefer the tone of the Spector with the EMG preamp, as well as the Spector's awesome low B, to the Bongo. It has a more cutting tone, while still pumping out plenty of lows. The Spector is not as versatile as the Bongo though, and Spectors are a love it/hate it bass where almost anyone could find a tone they like on the Bongo. As you can see, a compelling case could be made for either bass.

When I said "check 'em out" earlier, I should have added that I meant to look at reviews and soundclips, maybe even Youtube videos if possible, to help you out. I know EBMMs are not easy to come over there and you would play them in person if you could. Hope you find what you're looking for.