Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hhmmm.... got a amp question-

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Apr 11, 2004.

1. hey, i was goin to save up for a ampeg ba115 , but thats only 100 watts - but its got great tone.

but then for the same money, a peavey TNT 115 1x15 combo has 200 watts for the same price! hows the tone on it? are the parts more breakable or something? why is that 200 watts for $450, while the ampeg is 100 watts for $450???

- or maybe im just missing something... anyway, if i can only spend $450, then should i go with the peavey and get the "bang-for-your-buck?"

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    First go with what sounds best to you, then decide which is powerful enough for you.

Also the thing about Peavey gear is that it is damn near indestructible under normal use. Ampeg also has a good reputation though.

3. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    The Ampeg sounds much better with more lows(to me). Peavey sounds thinner(again, to me)

4. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    Hi Tym2cu... if the Peavey you are talking about is the one you mention in your eBay thread, I think it only puts out 200 watts when you attach an extention cab- otherwise it's a 150 watt amp.

5. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I agree.

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    The ampeg and the peavey were ones i was looking at... peavey won.

It sounds just fine. And its LOUD.

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I had a 150W Peavey TNT 115 that I just sold. One hint, keep the gain at 5 or more for a better sound. Here are my opinions:

Pros: Built solid
    Loud for 150W
    Very quiet - you cannot tell it is on in a quiet room

Cons: 85 pounds and seems heavier!
    Muddy tone
    Very limited tone range

8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    You could do ALOT better for $450. What about something like a Behringer Ultrabass BX3000 ($200) head into used 2x10 or 4x10? ($250)?? Look at used amps. New amps are a rip-off IMO.

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Well, I suspect I am not the only one that can't let that invitation pass......

Used amps can be a better "value", meaning you get an amp, and pay less......but....

First....without speaking for any other manufacturer, I can say that "ripoff" just doesn't apply on new amps.

If the price is at a certain level, it is because we can't get the price lower without taking out something that gives better sound, inproves performance, adds a desirable feature, etc.

I strongly doubt that ANY manufacturer develops a price that includes parts, labor, reasonable profit, advertising, warehousing, shipping, dealer discounts, warranty, service dept, new product development, etc, etc, and then adds on a "we'll rip them off" percentage on top.

Certainly we don't do that.

Is a used amp usable? Sure, probably, same as a used car.

But you generally get no warranty on used amps (unless it is transferrable and still in the warranty period), and you get, well, a "used" amp. One that has already been through the mill in gigs for a few years, and maybe has been abused in ways you don't know about. Any problems are likely your problem, not ours.

A certain amount of its life expectancy has already passed, problems are more likely, there is some uncertainty about it, and theoretically the price reflects those things.

10. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    good in a pinch but I have been burned a few times on used gear. The GK that went up in flames was a good example :eek: the BA-115 is a great amp; plenty loud.
    heck they are going to PA you anyway. Peavy seems to be getting hot right now. IMHO ampeg is the only way to go.
    I have an SVT w a 8-10 and it gets the job done. Classic BASS TONE, IMHO. BTW, I did buy the 8-10 used.... :p
    Keeping whatever Funk is left Alive!!!
    Are those real bellbottoms????? :cool:

11. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm saying that why would you want to buy a new amp when you can get a used one (the same model) for alot less? Just as long as you check it out and make sure it's all in good condition, it's the same thing.

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    You can get BA115's on Ebay for +/- $300...