Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hi, 5 string questions enclosed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eyescream, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    My first 5 string bass should be arriving here in a few days (I've already got a 4 string, but wanted to add a 5 string to my small collection), and in anticipation of it's arrival I wanted to ask and see if any of you guys could point me in the direction of a fretboard diagram and maybe some scale and arpeggio charts for 5 string basses that could be found on the web, perhaps. I did a google search and a search here, and it's entirely possible I just wasn't using the right terms to pull the results I was hoping for, but I couldn't find anything.

I'm not terribly skilled as yet because for years I went about playing as a musical dufus and tab junkie, and, as such, didn't really learn much of anything. So with this bass I'm starting anew and want to go about it the right way this time. So I thought I'd get this information to kinda jump-start my playing on this new bass.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the help, guys.

2. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    technique forum would probably be better for this question

3. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Crap. Can I move it myself or do I need to find a moderator and ask them?

4. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Well, unless you requested a weird tuning system, your 5th string should I'm guessing is a B or a C string, probably you got one with the low B (more common than high C), its still tuned in fifths, so whatever arpeggios and stuff you learned before would still apply.

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA

I'm sure you mean fourths. Example: B to E is a perfect 4th,. so is E to A, D to G, G to C, C to F, etc etc etc.

Original poster-check out your local guitar shop, they should have several books. I have the one from the Musicians Institiue i think that is called something about Fretboard. I have no clue what the actual title is. That's all and the switch to 5 is one i was glad to make.

Have Fun

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks man.

I need to get some beginner theory books too. I feel like a tard reading some of these posts in the technique section (once the existence of which was so helpfully pointed out to me).

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The first string is the G string, and the 2nd string is the D... etc.

D is the fifth of G, A of D, E of A, B of E.

Peace
    Nick