1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hi all... need amp suggestions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davenit, Apr 5, 2009.

1. davenit

davenit

Oct 3, 2008
    Well, I started playing Bass about a year ago. I play in two bands, both rock/metal 80's,90's, 00's... We play in clubs that can hold from 200-500. The guitar player jams through a splawn at about 4 (loud but not very loud) and we never have volume wars (we're all older guys - lol). I've been playing through our singers Fender bass head and 4x10. It's time for me to get my own rig.

I've been a 6 string player since I was a wee lad but have really loved the switch to playing Bass. It's not only taught me time feel better than any practice I could ever do on 6 string, it's given me a greater appreciation for Bass in it's own right.

Well, enough of that. What head/cab can I get for around $1000 that will work in my situation. I am very open to rack gear also. I was hoping to stick with a 2 x as I travel in a small car and lugging a 4 x might be problematic.

Thanks guys and gals...

Dave

2. davenit

davenit

Oct 3, 2008
    Oh, I should add that I have checked past posts and gotten some info from it, but not exactly what I was hoping to get in my price range. Thanks again.

3. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    Well, I play a 1x12 Fender Rumble, kicking out 60 watts, and the tone on it is nice and warm, but gives a little punch if you ask it nicely... if you were looking to go down the combo route, I'd recommend

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl...a=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

however, having a 2x10 and amp in one package may be a little weighty, especially if you're not so hot on heavy lifting.
    A simmilar story appears with this Ashdown
    http://www.andertons.co.uk/BassGuit...downMAGC210T-300307watt2x10BassComboEVOII.asp

If i were you, I'd be tempted by
    http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=4161

coupled with
    http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=4164
    Or something simmilar.

Try just googling your requirements, as most sellers include lots of tag-words in their product descriptions...

You'll be amazed at what you can find!

4. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    Do you like the sound of the fender amp? and what kind of sound are you wanting?

5. davenit

davenit

Oct 3, 2008
    Yeah, the sound is OK but I'm really hoping to get the head into a rack (I have wireless, a roland chorus unit and Masotti Mixer that I use already) and get the 4x10 down to a 2x10 for traveling purposes.

I'd be shooting for a traditional 80's, 90's rock bass tone. Yeah, I know, pretty broad explanation but that's what I play.

The GK 700 has me interested (I've been reading other threads) but I live in the middle of nowhere and while we have guitar stores they carry nothing worth looking at for Bass players so I have no way of really trying gear out.

Thanks for all your help so far.

6. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    If you're in the US and want to buy new look at maybe Carvin amps and Avatar cabs. GK will def get you that 80's rock tone. SWR works well for a solid 90's sound. In your price range you'll get way more bang for the buck going used. This would open you up to maybe a little mark II head or a Genz Benz head. Personally, with the kind of music you are doing not sure if a 210 is enough. Perhaps a more modular approach like 2X210 or a pair of 112's. IMO used would give you more options.
    Hope this helps, smogg

7. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    If you want tons of power, not a bad thing, I would consider a Carvin B1500 or Kustom 1300 Groove. That will eat up about $600, then an Avatar 2-12 would work or ?? Both these amps go down to 2 ohms with gobs of headroom. If weight is an issue a Carvin BX500 also does 2 ohms and you will have a few more bucks for cabinets. If you plan on running more than one cab at some time or another I would suggest looking for 2 ohm capable amps. This gives you more options speaker wise. Tons of possibilities here. I'm sure there are many here who will help you spend your money.

I would think if you don't have sound reenforcement for the bass a 2-10 wouldn't be adequate for a 500 cap room.

8. davenit

davenit

Oct 3, 2008
    Hey all... thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking into all of them now...

I probably should have mentioned that I'm always playing through a PA. I never need my rig to fill a room, just to fill the stage. :)

Thanks again.

Dave