Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hi All-New Here!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Kat_Mia, May 7, 2004.

1. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    Hi all! I am Kat (Mia is the name of my guitar)! :) The best to find out about me is probabaly my profile-loads written on there! :cool: I play mainly double bass but also fretless bass guitar. Playing mainly musicals at the mo. Well, can't really think of much else to say. Please introduce yourselves! :p

2. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    Also, can anyone help with how to change avatars? :help:

3. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Let me be the first to say welcome!

Welcome!

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Damn, I'm old.....

Welcome to TBDB, young 'un.

5. Me too - but not as old as Fuqua so that's cool. Hi Kat - welcome but I just gotta ask - your influences: I love Muse, The Darkness, REM, Jimi H, Guns n Roses, Chili Peppers of the red hot kind, Keane, Foo Fighters, Incubus, Southern Discomfort. Now I have to admit I don't know Southern Discomfort, but apart from once hearing that Flea was thinking of trying a DB do any of these have DB in there? What kinda sound you aimin' for? Seems to me you might be cuttin' new ground and us old guys may not be too keen but that's how it's suposed to be!

Have fun!

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    howdy and welcome...

7. Whose did you want to change?

8. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    I have taken my stand up to my boyfriends band practice before, they play all that kind of music. Was hilarious actually. I love jazz too, did I forget that? Sorry.

9. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Hi I'm Ore(that's what my musician name is at least,you know,like Slash or Ozzy).I'm turning 18 in ten days.I play bass for this sort of band called Bloodbath(sort of cuz we have no drummer).It is a fretted Gibson.I switched over to bass from the accoustic guitar about a month ago.

Favourite bands-Iron Maiden(Harris>Flea,in spite of what most people think),Judas Priest,Mercyful Fate,Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow,Black Sabbath,Guns n' Roses,AC/DC,Pegazus,Cradle of Filth,the Darkness,Slayer etc.

10. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    iron, you might want to check out the "electric bass" side of the board. This side is for them big stand up basses.

11. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    I'm sorry.I'm new here.

I've always been fascinated by you stand up players. :)
    Guess you can't slap/pop.

Sorry again.

12. Oh don't be sorry for brightening things up - but be sorry for saying you can't slap/pop on a db - its where the techniques started. :hyper:

13. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    poor guy :D

come over the plank spankers side of the playground... these DB guys bite and draw blood.

ooo BTW I stand up when I play.. :bassist: :p

OOOOO and welcome!

14. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

:eyebrow: :rollno: ;)

OK OK simmer down now. :bag:

15. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    When was the last time I saw a double bass player slap/pop?

Hmmmm........never!

Guess I've never seen a good double bassist.

How 'bout the guy in the San Fransisco Philharmonic.I saw him
    perform alongside Metallica :p .Would you call him good?

16. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    You said it. :eek:

17. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    We are at "level yellow" here. Bordering on orange... :eek:

18. Well, I don't have a BIG stand up bass (I have a medium one though - EUB), but I qualify to hang out here because of my age.

19. Nah mate - its just that fashions and styles change and few seem to learn how to do it anymore, let alone use it - the real guy with the slappin' chops was Milt Hinton, who most people now know for his atmospheric smokey black and white photos of jazz guys lookin' hip on calendars.

Any guy who plays with the SFO gets my admiration. Don't know much about Metalica - it was all AC/DC, UFO, Scorpions, Blue Oyster Cult, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Black Sabbath etc for the heavy guys in my youthful collection, and I couldn't tell you the name of the bass player in any of them. However, I have heard of Steve Harris. Ahh, the good old days. Iron Maiden have been going for so long I seem to remember them too. Any band that has longevity and acquires a new generation of followers has to deserve respect even if its not quite my or your thing. Enjoy playing bass - I think we enjoy seeming rude rather than mean it to answer another thread you posted somewhere I found by absolute accident. Hell, I'm posting from work, and here I'm suposed to be nice to everyone :D perhaps :confused: . Just lettin off steam ;) I guess.

20. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    I guess mutual respect applies for your style of music too.