Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hi All

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Monte, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    What's been up around here?

I sorta disappeared for awhile; been busy with my new day gig in higher ed sales for Dell, and the usual slate of gigs.

What did I miss?:eyebrow:

2. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Everybody just chilled and waited for you to show up again . . :smug:

Welcome back! Still playing the 180's?

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I switched quite awhile back to a mix of Oliv D & G and Superflexible E & A. I was looking for something a little higher tension on the low strings for this Solano, and it appears to be a great blend with lots of power. It took a couple of weeks for the Superflexibles to lose their mid-rangey twanginess but now they are full and dark. All strings sound great pizz, and my only arco complaint is the Superflexible E is a little slow to resond, compared to how quickly the Olivs speak.

I still think the Velvets are terrific, but I can hear low pizz notes better with this set up. I was messing around and noticed that when I was in solo tuning with the Velvets the bass was louder, so I surmised correctly I needed some higher tension.

Monte

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Hey Monte...Ernie Ball came out with a new DB string that sounds exactly like gut, bows and pizz'es beautifully, doubles your bass' volume, and is guaranteed to last ten years between changes. Retails at $41.95.

Just kidding.....nothing's changed. Welcome back.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Ain't it the truth? Welcome back to the geek club.

6. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    Hi Monte,

I should probably start a new thread in Strings, but can you briefly compare the Oliv and 180 G strings? Especially pizz qualities: tone, sustain, volume, tension, etc.

Thanks,
    Michael

7. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    damn, monte, you missed some great threads... some of 'em got locked up, and others just m.i.a... hope dell is treating you well... welcome back.

8. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Cool! Dell sells a ton of computers to Princeton -- they're fairly nice systems in my opinion.

Welcome back, though I may have registered on these boards after you left? Not sure....

9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Nah, you were here TBeers.

Monte,

Are we all still welcome to crash at your place next year for the ISB?:bag:

10. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Welcome back Monte, how was your hunting season?

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    hey, was wondering why I ain't seen you around. Good that you're back.

12. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    :crying:

You mean it isn't true?

Actually, I think my string GAS is ok for awhile. I don't really have any desire to switch, now that I've played about every one out there.

I've always thought that the Oliv G is the best overall out there. Both of them are really good, and the only 2 G strings IMHO opinion that you can bow open and sound good. Sustain is a little more on the Olivs, tension maybe a little less, volume is similar, as is tone, although the pizz tone on the Oliv's seems a litte better. The Velvets are easier to bow anywhere on the string.

Nope, you were here.

Glad you have had good luck with our systems!! Our Univ./ business line is definitely good quality.

If you can find a spot next to my lab or my wife's new cat in this tiny 1000sq foot place.:p

I am luckily literally minutes away from OCU, which I understand is hosting.

Pretty good. Nice 8 point and a doe, both really fat. Made lots of jerky, chili, and Bierox.

Quail was rough; OK has had a horrible drought and the dogs can't get any scent.

How about yours?

Thanks Ed.

Yeah, I was working West Coast biz accounts, and my hours were not good for browsing the internet(s). ...getting off at 8 gives you about enough time to eat and maybe practice a little if you throw in an hour or two to unwind.

Glad to be back everyone!!

Monte