1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hi! + ba115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zaten, Mar 24, 2006.

1. zaten

zaten

Mar 20, 2006
    Dubai - UAE
    Hello! Awesome forum you have here. Glad to be part of it :)

I'm playing through an ampeg ba115. From what I understand, it's a fairly popular combo. For those who've owned it or tried, I would like to know what you guys think of it. (Tone, flexibility, power etc...)

Specifically, how are you using it (practice, rehrearsals, gigging with or without a PA etc...). 100 W is not a whole lot but still not wimpy. I love the tone at home :D but I still haven't gigged or rehearsed with it. Also, is it true that if you tilt it back you loose a lot of your bottom end?

I will post my own review of the ba115 soon but first I'd like hear your opinion about it.

Thanks!

zaten

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I owned one for a while. I had to push it to it's limits to get it to keep up with our drummer, and it barely did the job. You do lose some bottom end when you tilt it back.

If you play small places and have a drummer that doesn't really hit hard, then I'd say go for it - if you're in a rock an roll band with a heavy hitting guy behind the kit you're gonna need something more.

When it's not cranked to it's limit it's a really warm and versatile amp though.

3. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Forgive me if this is crude or lacking maturity, but has anyone else ever noticed that the name of this looks like "balls," depending on the print font? When I first glanced at this post I thought I was reading "TeH HaXorz" typing until my brain reformed what my eyes were seeing.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    looks even more like balls printed on the amp cuz the 5 looks a lot like an s with the font they use. i always thought it was intentional.

5. zaten

zaten

Mar 20, 2006
    Dubai - UAE

Thanks for the feedback, Joe. Your name seemed familiar until I remembered reading a column by you in Bass Guitar magazine, if I remember correctly :)

Anyway, I'm disappointed and somewhat surprised to hear that my BA115 can't keep up with a heavy drummer :confused: . Fiddling with the style knob and the 3-way EQ, I can get it to be REALLY loud. I'm playing a Geddy Lee Jazz and it seems loud and punchy enough to play with any drummer. Weird :meh:

Has anyone else tried the BA115? Any feedback would be highly appreciated!

zaten

6. I had one for several years, and loved it. It was very useful for practicing for gigs and from my experience it did cut through the mix. I often would also jam with a drummer friend, so it was just bass and drums and he was a hard hitter, yet we could still both hear eachother. When I did gig, I always went through the house PA, so there was never a problem with the amp. I loved it and only upgraded because I had GAS!
    Remember, everyone has their own ideas and experiences, and until you try the amp in your own setting, you will never really know if it works or not.
    Good luck and have fun.

A

7. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    YEah i had one to its an okay amp. It was my first amp and i just kinda bought it because it was cheap and was pretty loud. But it has no cut and it always seemed really muddy to me.

8. I have one. I like the sound fine, but it just doesn't quite have the ass to cut through the mix, imho. We run all the instruments through the pa, so the sound out front hasn't been an issue. I have used it for a stage monitor on a couple of occasions and it seemed to do okay, but towards the end of the night I found myself needing to point my ear at the amp to really hear myself. We have two guitars and a keyboard plus a pretty loud drummer so stage volume can get a little out of hand. If your band can practice a little restraint volume wise it might work out for you. Terrific practice amp though.