Hi-Beam g-string buzz. Help me!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by carl-anton, Mar 26, 2003.

1. I really like DR Hi-Beams but I can't get the g-string setup proberly. I'm playing a Stingray5 and the g-string buzzes above the 7th fret. Won't stop unless I raise the saddle absurdly, and then there's none of that nice hi-beam snap, and the g-string sound is too weak. No other string (same gauge) does this, not even other DR strings. (Haven't tried Sunbeams though).
    It doesn't buzz if I play light, only when I play harder, and I like to do both. Is this just the curse of hi-beams, or is there a way around it?

2. Any suggestions? Should I dial in more or less relief in the neck? Or something else?
  3. Check the relief by looking along the neck. If its too flat loosen the truss rod to give you more relief etc ;)

4. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've used a number of different string brands on my various basses. I must say that I like DRs tone and playability, but depending on the what bass you have them strung on, you can get more fret buzz than desired.

This happened on my MTD 535. Although DRs buzzed more that I liked on the MTD, They sound just great on my F Bass. Both basses are set up to the same specs. but then, they are different basses. go figure.

IMHO, you need to basically do fine tuning adjustments on the neck relief and string height in order to find the happy medum.
  5. Sorry to bring up this again, but I still have the problem. I've tried to like other strings, but I want my 'beams :(
    Can I dial out buzz above the 7th fret by adjusting the trussrod? I thought the rod only afected the lower frets. Or do I have to sacrifice low action on the altar of buzz? :confused:

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    There is no reason that a particular string would buzz over another.

You just need the right set up for that tension. Sound like a slight loosening of the truss would give you a bit more relief and get you where you want to be.

7. Thanks guys!
    I'll try finetuning the trussrod and stringheight, see if that helps.