1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hi-Beams have no thunder...What gives?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Apr 15, 2010.

1. I have a set of hi-beams on my Cirrus 5 and the E and B strings just dont have any bottom on them. They sound hollow and tinny.

I can use the same settings on my eden 550 and Cirrus and get tons more bottom using pro-steels.

From my understanding pro-steels are some of the brightest strings out there but they still have oomph on the low end. Why dont Hi-Beams have this same effect?

2. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    To my ears, they lack low mids, thus sounding very scooped. Lo-Riders, otoh, have booty to spare. To a certain degree, the names of the strings let you know what to expect soundwise.

3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Don't know. Gather the engineering staff from DR and D'addario together and ask them.

Different woods, pickups, pickup placement, scale, etc have huge effect on why certain strings work on some basses better than others. You could also pigeonhole certain strings to certain Genres/styles that they do best, blah blah blah blah blah blah.

That said, you might like the Fat beams better, or you might not.

4. BIGREDSIX

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

I've been using High Beams since they first came out and have tried all the other DR roundwound strings. I used GHS Super Steels prior to that. I have never experienced what you are describing. My favorite strings ever. Maybe you got some bad strings. How new are they? Did you cut/trim them when you installed them?

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Are the E and B very well seated on the bridge saddles? Might try pushing down hard on each string right where it goes over the bridge saddle.

6. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I dunno man, I've never had any problems whatsoever with 'em and that's after over 10+ years of using nothing but Hi-beams. Bad pack maybe? Something wrong with your Cirrus or its preamp?

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I'd still suspect a good seating on the bridge saddles. The strings should make a crisp angled break over the saddles and not a smooth rounded break.

I've had other strings before that sound weak, thin or chorus'ish until they're pushed down and well seated on E or B strings.

8. Ill check the saddles

9. I had a similar experience, and it was mainly my own tone preference was changing. I was using DR Hi-Beams for a couple of years, but found I wanted more beef in the lower range. I went to Chromes for a while but have settled into using "Ken Smith Slick Rounds", I get a nice thick thumpy low end and crisp and clear(for me) highs. I also have used Low-Riders, and broken in, they had pretty decent lows to me. I am really amazed at how much difference there is in tone from string brands/types.
    -Todd

10. whocaresnotme

whocaresnotme

Jun 21, 2009
    I have used DR Hi-Beams exclusively for many years. I use the Marcus Miller sets and they do seem to have a bit more bottom. I second the idea of a good seating at the nut. After installing and bringing to tension I push down on the board side of each string at the nut and at the front of the bridge. Do not, artificially, stretch the strings. Just play them and then re-adjust tension normally.

11. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I love and only use Hi Beams. I love the tone - on my bass. I tried Black Beautys and they are great, too. They have a little more of what it sounds like you (OP) are looking for. I thought I liked the BB but just put HB back on a couple days ago. Ahh. My sound again.

I have had a couple bad ones so that could be the case. I had a G and D string in the same set that were bad - couldn't get them intonated.

12. Hi Beams are my favorite string. Hollow and tinny they ain't. However, it is all about the mix and match. For example, I use DR Lo Rider nickels with an alder/RW J bass I have, because the Hi Beams are just too bright. I've preferred Lo Rider steels on other basses, since they have a bit more mid grind than the Hi Beams.

Some strings (even great strings) work better on some basses than others, as stated above.

13. rbolanos

rbolanos

Apr 13, 2006
    Ontario,Canada
    give them a week, to break in
    but overall the High beams are flexible strings with less mids than the Lowriders (stiffer and mids accented).
    it all depends what kind of sound you are going for
    peace

14. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Set the witness point over the bridge saddles and if they still don't have any bottom they're bad strings. It happens.

Usually when I run into this the string sounds hollow and midrangey. Like "mids in a can"... missing the top end and the fundamental. Just call DR and get 'em replaced.

15. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    I have been using Hi Beams for about 5 years with no problem. In the last couple of months I have had 2 sets with bad strings right out of the pack. I called DR and they send out replacements. Something must have changed with the manufacturing process or who knows, it could just be dumb luck.