1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hi Beams

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by punisher911, Oct 27, 2013.

1. I just picked up a ESP LTD B206sm. The stock SITs had to go. The only thing GC had in stock that I know of to fit the 35" scale were Hi Beams w/a .125 low B. (I read D'Addarios were short) So far I'm digging them. I wanted to try nickel Lo Riders, maybe I still will one day. These will stay on for a while though.

2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Be forewarned that the Lo Riders will feel MUCH stiffer than the Hi-Beams. I couldn't stand them personally. If nickel is what you're after, don't miss the Sunbeams, which are basically nickel Hi-Beams.

3. I will say, that the low B has good tension, but the sound is kind of "muffled." It doesn't match the rest of the strings in terms of volume or sound. There's a nice transition in tone between the other strings, but when I get to the low B, it sounds completely different. Almost like it came from a different set of strings. I wonder if I got a bad string.

4. Upon further inspection, it's most likely the set up affecting the sound. The low B is quite a bit higher than the other strings. Looks like the saddles need some tweaking.