Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hi, could anyone explain what a plectrum for bass is???

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by soma89, Feb 28, 2006.

1. soma89

soma89

Jan 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    please and thank you.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    AKA - Pick

3. mobis.fr

mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
    germany
    its a pice of plastic which is made for guitar players and evil black/death metal bassist

4. ive never heard the term plectrum before. weird.

5. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    plectrum |ˈplektrəm| |ˌplɛktrəm| |ˌplɛktrəm|
    noun ( pl. -trums |ˌplɛktrəmz|or -tra |-trə| |ˌplɛktrə| |-trə|)
    a thin flat piece of plastic, tortoiseshell, or other slightly flexible material held by or worn on the fingers and used to pluck the strings of a musical instrument such as a guitar.
    • the corresponding mechanical part that plucks the strings of an instrument such as a harpsichord.
    ORIGIN late Middle English : via Latin from Greek plēktron ‘something with which to strike,’ from plēssein ‘to strike.’

Fun facts to know and share!

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    It's a pick. Use your fingers.

haha

-Mark

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    [​IMG]

:D

8. lol... I dont get the worms... but, if your just starting (which you very well may not be)... I would suggest the fingers...

dont worry, i had been playing for like 3 years before id even heard the word plectrum... call me stupid.. we just dont normally call them that over here in the states

also, death metal isnt the only style of music you can play with a pic... lol.. im pretty sure sting uses a pick... you know... alot of people do... feel free to do it, i just dont like it, it makes you look like a guitar player... and I think most other people here would agree that using your fingers would be a great start because it helps you get more cowardinated... i know thats spelled wrong...

anyway... worms....

9. nah, that's just doing what the Lion in The Wizard of Oz does, only backwards.

10. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida

As in opening up a can of worms?

11. mobis.fr

mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
    germany
    a lot of people in germany use this word instead of pick.

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Yeah....Joe Osborn and Steve Swallow are big hits at all the death metal parties. :rolleyes:

13. post of the day!!! :hyper: :hyper:

14. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    :D

I've switched to using a pick in recent months. The music we play is kind of dub-influenced electronica (for want of a better term).

A pick just seemed to fit better. I went and bought every type of pick I could find and I quite like these black sharkfins I'm using right now. I want to try those rubber wedgie ones but haven't seen them anywhere yet.

15. the can depicted in that illistration is clearly not opened :smug:

16. Plectrum is the "technically correct" term and I think it is favored by the British and those who speak British English.

In the USA people usually call them picks.

Does the colour of your plectrum resemble aluminium?