1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

hi, could anyone explain what a plectrum for bass is???

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by soma89, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. soma89


    Jan 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    please and thank you.
  2. NJL


    Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    AKA - Pick
  3. mobis.fr


    Jun 2, 2005
    its a pice of plastic which is made for guitar players and evil black/death metal bassist
  4. ive never heard the term plectrum before. weird.
  5. ryco


    Apr 24, 2005
    plectrum |ˈplektrəm| |ˌplɛktrəm| |ˌplɛktrəm|
    noun ( pl. -trums |ˌplɛktrəmz|or -tra |-trə| |ˌplɛktrə| |-trə|)
    a thin flat piece of plastic, tortoiseshell, or other slightly flexible material held by or worn on the fingers and used to pluck the strings of a musical instrument such as a guitar.
    • the corresponding mechanical part that plucks the strings of an instrument such as a harpsichord.
    ORIGIN late Middle English : via Latin from Greek plēktron ‘something with which to strike,’ from plēssein ‘to strike.’

    Fun facts to know and share!
  6. Mark Wilson

    Mark Wilson Supporting Member

    Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    It's a pick. Use your fingers.


  7. phxlbrmpf


    Dec 27, 2002

  8. lol... I dont get the worms... but, if your just starting (which you very well may not be)... I would suggest the fingers...

    dont worry, i had been playing for like 3 years before id even heard the word plectrum... call me stupid.. we just dont normally call them that over here in the states

    also, death metal isnt the only style of music you can play with a pic... lol.. im pretty sure sting uses a pick... you know... alot of people do... feel free to do it, i just dont like it, it makes you look like a guitar player... and I think most other people here would agree that using your fingers would be a great start because it helps you get more cowardinated... i know thats spelled wrong...

    anyway... worms....
  9. nah, that's just doing what the Lion in The Wizard of Oz does, only backwards.
  10. Sippy


    Aug 1, 2005

    As in opening up a can of worms?
  11. mobis.fr


    Jun 2, 2005
    a lot of people in germany use this word instead of pick.
  12. bassmonkeee

    bassmonkeee Supporting Member

    Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

    Yeah....Joe Osborn and Steve Swallow are big hits at all the death metal parties. :rolleyes:
  13. post of the day!!! :hyper: :hyper:
  14. dlloyd

    dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

    Apr 21, 2004

    I've switched to using a pick in recent months. The music we play is kind of dub-influenced electronica (for want of a better term).

    A pick just seemed to fit better. I went and bought every type of pick I could find and I quite like these black sharkfins I'm using right now. I want to try those rubber wedgie ones but haven't seen them anywhere yet.
  15. the can depicted in that illistration is clearly not opened :smug:
  16. Plectrum is the "technically correct" term and I think it is favored by the British and those who speak British English.

    In the USA people usually call them picks.

    Does the colour of your plectrum resemble aluminium?