hi-fi cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dreadhead, Apr 16, 2002.

1. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Hello there! I need your help.
    I'm going to get a new cabinet, but this time I want a "neutral" one, that doesn't add or cut frequencies and that reproduced with hi fidelity the sound of the bass and the preamp.
    I was thinking about the ACME Low B (2x10"), I've found an used one (I live in Europe).
    But I would like to get a BIG cab... I ALWAYS dreamed about getting an 8x10" or similar... well, I saw a picture of the Warwick Terminator... WOW!!!
    I'm in love. What about it and the other Warwick cabs? They seem to be less expensive than the other one of the great brands (Eden, SWR etc.).
    Help me! I would need to know if Terminator is a "neutral" and full-range cab!
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Well, it's very neutral sounding, but if you want "big", the Acme B2 is probably not the best choice! Generally speaking, bass amp companies building huge cabs aren't also trying to make them hi-fi or neutral sounding, since folks who buy huge cabs are often playing aggressive music at high volume, and "hi-fi" or "neutral" is not usually what those folks are looking for.

I'm afraid I don't know much about the Terminator in particular, or any of the Warwick amplification gear. Considering that it's made in Germany, I would expect the Warwick gear to be cheaper in Europe than US-made stuff like SWR and Eden, though.

3. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Well Mike, thanx for your help!
    I know that the Low B is really "little", and I'm not 100% sure that it will fit my needs.
    What about SWR and EDEN stuff? Can you recommend a particular speaker that is "neutral"?
  4. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    You might check out the Eden 410XST...very hi-fi, loud...and expensive!:D
  5. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Acmes sound great and are very neutral, but they aren't very loud. If I were you I'd try to atleast get the b4, but that might not be possible in Europe.

I think mike is right about 8x10s though. However your head/preamp will probably make a bigger difference in the neutrallity.

Some options. Since you live in Europe DEFINITLY check out glockenklang. Also try Euphonic Audio, Epifani, and Bergantino if you can.

I don't know much about Warrick amps, but alot of people in america don't like them. However we don't get the higher end ones here.
  6. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Hei, this is the same council that I've received from a friend... well, with all that money I can get an used Low B and a new Terminator!!!
  7. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    SWR Megoliath, and Henry the 8x8 are pretty nice.
  8. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    To me, the SWR and Eden stuff sounds good, but not particularly neutral. Of the cabs I've owned (Eden, SWR, Acme, Euphonic Audio, Aguilar, Epifani), the Acmes were by far the cleanest and most neutral sounding to my ear, though they weren't loud enough or aggressive enough for the kind of stuff I'm doing these days. If you want big and neutral, I'd say get a pair of Acme B4's and run one or two thousand watts through them! :)

I understand that Glockenklang stuff is supposed to be very clean-sounding, and it may be much more affordable over there than it is here. That's one option you might look into.

9. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Glockenklang isn't cheap at all! It's expensive!!
    I think that my Demeter preamp is neutral (yeah!), but the cab will waste its fidelity...
  10. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Yes, I did think about getting one of them.
    I saw on SWR site that the 8x8" is no more available. There's a big power (and price) difference between them. Have you tried both of them? What do you think?
  11. I'm personally not fond of SWR gear,but the 8x8 is a very nice cab. It looks like if you're looking for a neutral sounding cab,you're going to be spending some money. Acme's eat alot of power. You can pump 1000 watts into it and it won't sound as loud as an Eden cab at 300 watts. You sacrifice efficiency for a "neutral" sound. I don't know anything about Warwick amps. I love their basses,but their amps aren't seen around here much. Maybe you could save yourself some money by finding a cab with a personality that you like. Just a suggestion...
  12. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Oh yeah, I forgot all about the Eden XST cabs--I've never played them.

I also play a Demeter preamp, so I'll definately agree that it's pretty clean sounding. Having a totally clean, neutral sound can be a bit over-rated, though. Even the Demeter adds some color (try plugging into the power amp without it!), and having the EQ controls set straight up on it is is not particularly "flat". So don't worry so much about sounding "neutral"--just worry about sounding good. :)

13. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    You think glockenklangs are expensive there? Try getting one over here! ;)

Where'd you see the 8x8 was discontinued, I just went to the site and didn't see anything about that. I shure hope its still around!!!
  14. A truely transparent speaker has been the Holy Grail of engineers since the loudspeaker was invented. So far, nobody has been able to design one. All speakers will color the sound, some more so than others. This being the case, if you can't beat em...join em and select a cab that colors the sound in a way which enhances your style and compliments your electronics.
  15. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have to agree that all speakers and cabs will color your sound...but I am far from being a physics professor.

Hi-Fi (to me) means expensive so check out the Wayne Jones cabinets. This guy claims that they are the last note on bass reproduction! I think they are the only manufacturer with a 780 watt 2x10! Imagine a 2x10 with a frequency response of 33Hz-20kHz. And for the low price of only $1300 (US)!!! Ha..they better be good!:)

Quote from the Wayne Jones Website:
    "No expense has been spared; Quality, Hi-Fi, Portability, High Powered, Full Range sound.We aim to go as low as possible and as high as possible, without compromise of any of the frequencies in between."

16. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I have a pair of Acme Low B-2s and I would say they do color the sound quite a bit, mostly in the upper midrange. (Try playing a CD through them and it becomes obvious in a hurry!) They seem "neutral" because that coloration is so different from the usual mid-bass hump that many cabs have. Acmes certainly go deep, and as a 5-string player, that's the key for me. They suit my needs nicely.

At the risk of sounding like a shill for AccuGroove, I would say their cabinets are the best sounding cabs I've played through to date. They sound full and open across the audio range. (Now I sound like an audiophool!) If I were an upright player, I would have to seriously consider buying a couple.
  17. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    What is expensive? Eden 410XLT is 1455eur, Glockenklang Quattro 1099eur, Warwick Terminator 1050eur. 4x10 warwicks are much cheaper, but I wouldn't even compare them with Glockenklang.
  18. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Replacing "Eden 410XST" with "EBS 410" would give an equally valid statement. Well, there are plenty of cabs that are more "hi-fi" sounding, but they're a good compromise between "flat" and loud.
  19. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

It's always useful to read the fineprint:

The 10s have a 300W RMS rating, and the tweeter a whopping 180W. He simply adds those ratings.
    In the real world it's more like a 600W cab, which is still good.

The only 700W 2x10 cab I know of is the Tech Soundsystems ND 210 XT:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  20. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    The most versatile hi-fi cab i've seen in the Accugroove - check out the website at www.accugroove.com or ask questions here as Mark who makes the cabs calls in here a lot... worth checking out if there's a way of getting it to Europe. Very clean sounding, loadsa headroom and lots of balancing options between the woofers, mid-range and horns... not my sound, but then I not sure there is such a thing as 'transparent' - all speakers are adding 'colour' just by having sound go through them, so it's all a matter of choosing a colour you like... :oops:) And on that note, I say Ashdown! ;o)

...seriously, check out the Accugrooves - you'll also have the kudos of having very rare gear to impress your mates with... :oops:)