Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hi-Fi pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tames, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Tames

Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    Time to upgrade from standard on my Jazz bass. A friend of mine has a late 70's Fender Precision bass special with EMGs in it... I'm not sure what model they are, but on a CD, he ran direct and got one of the most beautiful hi-fi sounding tones I've heard in a while... it was as if I was listening to the strings miked. I'm looking for pickups... direct replacement in my Jazz bass that will get me a really hi-fi sound. Active most definitely. I'm an avid slapper and hard Flea-type finger player. Any help would be great! Thanks very much!

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Probably their standard active jazz sounds like. To my knowledge they only make them and the "vintage" JV model. Had them both and doubt their JV's. If he doesn't know what they are in a matter of 5 minutes you could lift the bridge pup up and it should have a LJ5 sticker on it. In my recollection the JV's and standards look the same.

Pretty much any active pup will give you a hi-fi like tone. Most consistent passive pup in that respect would be a Bart. Your bass may not respond to that pup like his does but EMG's are about the most consistent sounding pup I've ran across - and I've had about 9 sets of them.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The JV's have exposed pole pieces, the J's don't so it's easy to tell them apart.
    I agree with luknfur, EMG are very consistent sounding pickups. If that's the sound you're looking for, get the EMG's. The only other mfr I can think of who make active J pickups are Seymour Duncan.

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    It's likely the Alembic Activators would solve your needs too. But they can be pricey.....

5. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I have EMG's, and I have had EMG's in my basses over the years. I'm about to take out a set of EMG's(wired 18 volt)out of my P bass, and installing a set of Alembic Activators.

I have a set of Activators in my Jazz bass, and I can't be more pleased with them. Nothing comes close to the response I get with Alembic pickups...not even the EMG's.

Bart's come closer ..but still no cigar.

[​IMG]

can you dig the custom knobs? :cool:

PS - it's a pop and slap machine with these pickups!

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    LOL. Exposed poles. Oh, yeh, that's what made them vintage, cause it wasn't the sound.

Not an active fan per se' so haven't really looked for them but I know Bart makes a 9E active J and Reflex and Status (both English) have made some actives - don't know if Status made them in a J though.

At any rate, you know what your buddy has cuase to my knowledge active EMG J's haven't changed from inception - except the quick connect aspect, debateable progress.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Alembicplayer,

On that bass - could you post the measurement from the center of the 12th fret to the leading edge of the neck pup and the spacing center to center between pups?

8. AlembicPlayer

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    sure!

from top dead center of the 12th (metal) fret to the "leading" edge(towards the neck)of the neck pickup is 10.5 inches

the space between the two pickups (measured from the inside edges of the pups) is - 2" 15/16ths

is that what you wanted?

BTW- that's a 1989 MIJ 60's reissue Jazz

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh,

appreciate it. The pup placement struck me as atypical.

Thanks

When you were talking about the Barts coming closer were talking about passive Barts or the active Barts? If the active Barts, do they sound like Barts?

10. AlembicPlayer

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    active Barts...and what I meant was the Barts are one of the most responsive pickups I have tried..second only to Alembic. Balanced response and subtle articulation are what I look for in these hi-fi pickups....the tone tends to sound different according to the instrument, wood, neck, scale etc. So I don't think the Alembic pickups sound like the Barts...they sound like Alembic..but the balanced response is similar. That's what I came to expect from the EMGs until I tried the Activators. I've been struggling with the EMGs in my Pbass for a while, and was going to try a set of active Barts..but I just bought a set of Activators from a forum member..so I know what to expect for tone, but am curious to how the ash P bass will color the sound.

As for the sound of the Jazz bass, I was able to put it under the microscope last night cutting a demo. The bass is dark and woody sounding. My wife said the recording sounded like a string bass at times. It has a nice warm tone similar to a vintage Jazz, but with the classic Alembic top end. I'm very happy with the mod

11. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

12. Tames

Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    Alright, so here comes that big question: Where do I find some? I'm not sure if I mentioned before, but I want them in white. They say at EMGs website that the standard J-set is available in Black, White, and Ivory. So there's the "offer." If anyone can find me a good price (around $150) on some WHITE EMGs, It'd be greatly appreciated!

13. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Just do a general google on line search for EMG J pickups and you'll get plenty of vendors. Never bought them new but I doubt the retail price is much if any more than that.

You could also place an ad in TB classifieds but your chance of finding whites ones are slim - even on ebay for that matter, unless you want to wait for a while.

I've got a used set but they're black, rough, and I'm not really interested in parting with them at this point.

14. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  15. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Actually I was asking if the Bart actives sound like Bart passives - or how the actives are different in tone than Bart passives? But the info on the Alembics was plus regardless.