1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hi-Fi sound, but "BIG" and Quick

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thehurlatron, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Accugroove El Whappo

22 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Accugroove Whappo JR.

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. Bergantino HT322

33 vote(s)
    32.0%
  4. Epifani UL410

12 vote(s)
    11.7%
  5. Epifani UL610

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  6. Epifani UL310

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  7. Other/Carrots

20 vote(s)
    19.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. I'm looking for a modern "hi-fi" sounding cab. But it has to be able to rumble and yet not get too muddy. I like overkill as far as volume and fullness.
    Any/all of these cabs would be powered with my DB750.

I play alot of P/W tunes, reggae/ska, rock and the likes. And I dabble in R&B.
    I play a Warwick SSII 5'er and a Lakland 55-94.
    (Weight is not an issue, but I won't complain if it's only 50lbs)

I've never used anything but 10's so the Whappo and JR make me nervous. I like a quick and punchy cab without sacrificing big bottom. Is this a possibility?

Opinions please.

2. You sound like you are chasing what I was.... The El Whappo stopped my search :bassist:

3. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    My Dr. Bass 212 cabinet is amazing. I'm totally after the HiFi sound as well.

4. 6pack Jon

6pack Jon

Jul 6, 2006
    Queens, NY
    Bergantino 322 does it for me.

5. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    if you've got the DB750 already, why not try the gs212 or gs412?

6. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    My Epifani T-212D Rocks the world and knocks their pants off. The comments i have gotten so far are:

Drummer: That thing is shaking my balls. Damn.
    Rare Earth Bass Player: Ok.. dude. WHERE can I get ME one of these!
    Sound Guy: I like the sound of your amp. (rare thing to hear)
    Bass Player: That is about the best sounding rig I have ever heard.

I love my epifani. Feeling the subharmonics below your normal note is always a good thing, and this cabnet gives me an AMAZING amount of feel to my sound that was never there before. Even with 18's, Dual 15's, 410's. I never have heard and Felt this kind of notes from my bass.

I hear good things about Accugroove, but for me, im going with Nick E's line. Great Stuff.

You should try a 212. 2 of them would be THE stuff man. Seriously.

7. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    +1

Sounds what you're looking for is the GS412.

8. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i think that the Epifani UL610 is gonna fit what you are asking for exaclty, not at all muddy but very full and quick sounding.

give one of them a whirl, i dont think you will be dissapointed

Dave

9. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    The GS412 is Huge , but it realy sounds amazing , real HIFI-tone even if its a real rockercab ..
    Argh , to bad its impossible to get these cabs in Sweden ..

10. I've gone the GS410 route already. It was alright, but not quite "hi-FI". It did a great mid scooped sound, but I'm looking for a full clean sound.

11. The GS412 is a little slow and "dark/muddy" for me.

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    You need to seriously get your hands on a Bergantino NV215. That is such an even sounding cab across board and it works unbelievably well with the DB750. Don't let the 15" speakers fool you. That is a very quick responding cabinet.

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I voted UL410, but (from what I've heard second-hand) I think the NV215 (if you can find one) would match up better with the DB750.

[edit:] KJung is right -- neither of these is a really Hi-Fi cab though.

14. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    is the nv215 hi fi in any way though?

i have never played one but i have never heard it described as hi fi

Dave

15. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the tree Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I bought a Whappo, Jr and am extremely pleased with it - it is by FAR the best neutral cab I have played. With the others there was a basic pallete of sounds that were always there. With the Jr. you can totally change the charecter of the sound by changing your position, or your EQ or attack..... each one clearly audible. And the thing is LOUD! I've been lazy and have been using an Aguilar AG500 because of the weight, but it sounds better (hard to believe, isn't it!) with my Glockenklang head. With my other cabs, I felt that the bass/amp were covered up by the sound of the cab. With the Jr you get what you put into it. BTW - I recorded my bass and played the recording through my home system, which has Thiel 2.3's - comparison with the Accugroove was VERY similar, so I know I'm getting the sound of the bass.

Anyway, the Jr. is by the far the best I have had. The Whappo is even better, but is more than I need.

Dan K.

16. Thanks to all so far for the input!

I have never played a NV215, but I was under the impression that the NV series was kinda the mid bump retro kinda sound. Am I totally off here?
    I played for a moment on a NV610, and it sounded good and punchy, but alas, I could tell it was sealed and had no tweeter.

The ElWhappo is getting some good plugs here. Is there a huge difference between the old and new besides weight?

17. slighty more highs and tighter lows... from what I've heard.

18. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I really liked the UL410 when I demo'd it at Jive Sound. I also got the chance to listening to another guy A/B the DB750 with the UL410 and Accugroove El Whappo Jr. I thought they both sounded good, but I can't remember which one I liked more. I did notice that one of them had something the other lacked, and we wouldn't have been able to tell that particular detail if we hadn't been listening to them back-to-back. Too bad I forget, but if I had to guess, I would have to say that the El Whappo Jr was probably the one we both liked better. Not saying that either was bad, they both were absolute creame of the crop. Like picking between a BMW and a Benz.

When I was looking into the DB750, I went to one of kjones' band practices and he was using an Accugroove El Whappo Jr. I was VERY impressed. Certainly slayed my Tri210L. Very full range and pleasing in a band context.

That being said, my GS410 is no slouch, and the only reason I would ever consider trading for something else (of similar air movement capability) would be for lighter. Had I not gotten it used for an extremely reasonable price, I would have probably gone for the UL410 to save a little cash.

At my gig on Friday night, I had my DB750 set to 11:00 gain and 7:30 master, and I still found myself nudging the volume lower as the second set progressed. hahah talk about overkill. Granted it was a pretty small place.

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    The NV215 is a sealed cabinet but it is quite a full range cab. The 6" speaker in it has a good deal to do with it. I was extremely suprised by the sound of that cab. It was not at all what I expected out of a 215 sealed cabinet.

20. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Check my profile, I have a few of the cabs in your poll. The berg 322 is still the best sounding Ive ever played to my ears, but with that said, with the aguilar tone, the tone changes when you get about ten feet away and gets mid heavy and looses some low end and bark. If you had any other head other than aguilar I would say go with the 322. So if your going with the db750 my vote goes for the El W or the GS412.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021