1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hi-fi sound of EMG but warmth of Barts?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ArpeggiFish, Mar 8, 2008.

1. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Hi,

I am looking to get new pickups for a Thumb bass. I want (as the title says) the Hi-fi sound of EMGs with out the brittleness of them and the warmth of some Barts, but is louder. David [ravenmoon] I'm looking into your pickups for both my Jazz Bass and the Warwick, but am still looking at different pickups.

Thanks

Arpeggi

2. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    bump

3. hmmm, you are trying to have your cake and eat it too :)

one pickup I know had the clarity of EMG and the warmth of Barts: Lane Poor, but the output was low, and had to be coupled with his preamp

4. stoney

stoney

May 18, 2006
    hhhmmmm ......... maybe Delano?:bassist:

5. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    get one Bart and one EMG....

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I tamed my EMG 40hz's down with a Tube Pre, and Flats.

7. BTW EMG Js in my heavier than normal alder J sounded quite warm, no brittleness there at all. Oh and the strings have been dead for about 4 years too..

8. Are you sure it's the pu's? Have a look at your pre-amp too.

To me Seymour Duncan's and the East U-Retro are a perfect combination to produce all sorts of flavours without losing the character of the bass.

9. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    The closest I've heard to Lane Poor pickups are Villex pickups ("Classic", the currently available line). The output needs no preamp

10. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    DELANO, INDEED! It's like cake, frosting, & lit candles.

11. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    EASY!!! Use an Aggie preamp with EMG's. My friend did this and achieved the exact results you're looking for.:) PM Robear22 here on Talkbass he can give you the skinny.

12. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Perhaps EMG's "CS" (ceramic and steel) type is what you're looking for.

They don't seem to say anything on their site about any J models that have the CS option, but they are listed on their 2007-2008 price list........ from the price list it looks like they are available only as a 2 pickup set, but perhaps a dealer could special order them individually.

This is from Bass Emporium's web site......

It's basically the same thing EMG says about the 40CS and 40TW on their website. I recently played a Spector that had a 40TW in the bridge position and it was MUCH warmer sounding than typical EMGs........ very very nice.... I now have plans to get a 40TW for a bass I have that currently has a 40P5 and a 40DC. The 40DC is good for adding definition and bite to the 40P5, but it's pretty useless on its own.

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Seriously consider checking out Delano pickups. They're clean and clear but with the warmth and ceramic characteristics of Bartolini pickups. I just put some into my six string and they're fabulous.

edit: check with Brian at www.bestbassgear.com. I know that he just got a shipment of them in.

14. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Try EMG's with a bart pre. Some guys around here have done that and like it.

15. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I would consider it impossible to have pickups that are both "warm" sounding AND "hifi". But if you're looking for something in the middle of EMG's and Bart's, try Duncans. That's what Warwick used on a lot of earlier basses and still offer it as a custom option, and the Duncan active J's are my favorite jazz pickups. They have decent output, are very well balanced across the board, and have a good punchy growl that sits somewhere between EMG's hifi sound and Bartolini's warmth.

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Also, don't be afraid to try the Bartolini CB series pickups. They're much more open sounding compared to the original Barts, but they still have that wonderful Bartolini warmth.

17. I used to have a set of active Duncans J on sale here on the classifieds but I moved it to ebay due to the lack of interest of TBers, somehow they got a bad rep :rollno:

18. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Right now I'm thinking either Seymour Duncan, Delano, or Activators. All with a ACG filter preamp, or maybe the stock preamp for the Alembics.

19. BassBod

BassBod

Aug 18, 2006
    Bristol, UK
    The only ones I have used that would fit your needs are the Semour Duncan Basslines - the active soapbar ones (EMG sized). I suspect the other SD active pickups are voiced the same, but haven't heard them.

They have the clarity of EMG's but warmer sounding, particularly with a touch of bass boost - a nice tone.

BB