Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hi-Fi Suund????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Paulb7664, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Paulb7664

Paulb7664

Sep 30, 2004
    Kent UK
    Hi all
    Forgive me if this is a dumb question.
    What do you mean when you say it sounds Hi-Fi?? :meh:

Paul

2. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Very clean, sterile and no growl at all. Me don't like it.

3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    In general I would say slightly scooped. This means that the mids are lowered a bit so you hear more lows and hi's. A soft (not aggressive) smiley face eq curve.

But in recent years this is also referring more to an amp and cab that has a frequency respose that is so even that whatever you put into it is what comes out of it with little coloration from the amp or cab. This can actually sound kind of mid heavy because most folks aren't used to hearing mids in a bass. Mids have been a slappers secret for years.

In the future maybe it will mean no bottom end at all!

(I hope not!)

:D

Joe.

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    To me it means what it says: high fidelity. That means that the system (amps+speakers) reproduce the signal placed through them as accurately as possible, imparting as little of their own frequency response, distortion, distortion spectra etc characteristics.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    or,

very clean, open, airy, and in some cases breathtakingly detailed.

while hifi can be about "accuracy", to me, its just another flavor of "sweetened", cause there's no such thing as perfectly accurate. everything imparts something. an SVT imparts its tubey goodness, and an Avalon U5 glombs on its glassy air.

thusly, even plugging your bass directly into a nice mixing board and listening back thru a nice pair of studio monitors will be as "hifi" a product i'll hear, its still a combination of the demeter tube DI, neve board, those genelec monitors, and whatever length of canare cabling.

6. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    You can't say cabling! Everyone will agree that everything else in the signal chain has some effect. But not cables! Don't forget this or another flame mega thread will start and crash the servers! You have been warned:)

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Accurate is the best description, it puts out the same as what you put in. Typical bass cabs are far from accurate, with poor low bass, strong mid-bass, and weak midrange dispersion. Try playing your home hi-fi receiver through your bass cab and you'll wonder how your bass manages to sound good at all. The main advantage to having a hi-fi bass cab is that you can get the same sound from it as from the PA out front. Hearing what your instrument is actually capable of can be a revelation.

8. It depends who you ask....

To some, "hi-fi" means literally hi-fidelity reproduction, without obvious coloration.

To others, "hi-fi" means artificially enhanced highs and lows, or the polar opposite to the "old-school" tones prominent in the 1960s and 1970s.

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I think the term "hi fi" has been abused to the point where it means too many different things to different people. Instead, I prefer to say "transparent" about any component that has reasonably flat response and minimal distortion. And I offer this definition while admitting that my system is anything but.

10. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    +1

:D

Joe.

11. Paulb7664

Paulb7664

Sep 30, 2004
    Kent UK
    Thanks for the replys. I think I have it now.
    Paul