1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hi from Australia

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by plugger, Aug 11, 2007.

1. hi guys and gals,

I'm a guitarist who doesn't know too much about basses (my total bass ownership experience is an old Vantage P-bass copy I bought in the '80s for some demo recording... still has the original '80s brass nut!). OTOH, my 15yo son is getting very serious about his bass playing, and is looking to get a better bass.

He's looking for a 5-string, and I knew this was going to be tricky. Fortunately, he's discovered he gets on very well with a MM sub-5, and this is within budget, so that's a good option. Something else I've been looking at is the Lakland 55-01 (or even the 55-02). This is based on reviews I've read and some impressions gleaned from talking to bassists. Unfortunately, actually getting one to try out is a bit of a challenge (there doesn't appear to be a Lakland distributer in our area).

Anyway, that's my main motive for joining up at this stage: getting your collective wisdom on 5-strings, Laklands vs sub-5s (or whatever). Any initial comments, please advise; I'll probably put a proper thread up with this subject in one of the forums (perhaps you can also advise which forum is most appropriate for a topic like this). :D

-Mark

2. jimofstone

jimofstone

Aug 14, 2007
    Hi Plugger,
    Definitely best to start with 5 rather than change later! Believe me! I still hit a heavy E now and again instead of an A. Good luck, from Jimofstone.